Taurus Judge questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even with bird shot in a .410 you are looking at a weight of around 218 grains. Even at close range it will hit with about the same force as a .45acp. It won't have the same penetration but it will hit really hard.

There are good buckshot loads for the .410 that will get some penetration and even the low velocity PDX1 loads are good too. I would think the buckshot or disc loads would be better than a .32 or maybe even a.380.

I think the OP has a plan now that I like. The twenty gauge for the house and a 9mm for car carry. And lessons from Dad on both.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Taurus has the Raging Judge that will handle .454 Casull ammo.

Yea, I've looked at that, but my plan is to use it as my backpacking gun, and it's way too heavy for that.
I'm not asking for much, just an ulra light weight firearm that can handle buffalo bore loads. Lol right

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yea, I've looked at that, but my plan is to use it as my backpacking gun, and it's way too heavy for that.
I'm not asking for much, just an ulra light weight firearm that can handle buffalo bore loads. Lol right

When you find one o' them, let me know 'cause I want one too..

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leme see here . . . Equivalent to five .38 special rounds . . . So assuming one is shooting 125 grain jhp ammo, one .410 of the new type will deliver 625 grains of payload at around 1100 fps. Very impressive. Gotta get one of these.

I don't doubt that the new ammo is better, but my thoughts almost exactly match these from post #7 by SMS:

------------------------------------------------

Before deciding on what platform; AR, handgun, shotgun etc...I'd be asking/assessing what platform he is trained and equipped to handle.

If I loved my son-in-law (or at least the daughter who married him), I wouldn't tell him to get a Judge. IMHO the Judge it is a trinket/talisman/toy that is enjoying great success from ill-informed consumers and Hollywood product placement. The .410 has never, in the history of martial combat, been considered a man-stopper and it never will be in my book...especially not stuffed inside a short barreled revolver.

If a scattergun fits his skills, abilities and mission then I would suggest a proper 12 or 20Ga long gun.

----------------------------------------------

Dakota Safe

Marksman
Reaction score
What is the allure of this type of revolver? The fact that it can fire shotgun ammo as well? The barrel is so short, yet the gun is quiete large. It can't be easily concealed, except in cold weather. It's a good home defense system, in that during a home invasion it will be used at point blank range. On board ammunition is limited. But point blank, the injury would be horrific. Maybe I'm anwering my own question, haha!

My point exactly.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

SW 329PD 25oz 44mag. Taurus makes some light big bore pistols too.

Glock 29. Or Glock 20.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leme see here . . . Equivalent to five .38 special rounds . . . So assuming one is shooting 125 grain jhp ammo, one .410 of the new type will deliver 625 grains of payload at around 1100 fps. Very impressive. Gotta get one of these.

Terms of energy, not weight/velocity. Commonly referred to as "knock down power"

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HUH? Isn't kinetic energy derived from weight and velocity?

How can something with less mass and a slower velocity have equal or more energy?

WinPDX1 .38+p 130gr muzzle energy peak is 260 ft.lbs. of energy... The PDX1 .410 load muzzle energy peak is damn near 1300 in a 2.5" shell

As we learn with the .45acp... Heavier, slower rounds equal more energy

Latest posts

Top Bottom