Taurus Judge questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Owning a Judge is not a requirement to talk about terminal ballistics, ammunition selection/availability and overall practicality.

Winchester's new brew for the Judge might be good, but at over $1.00 per round, is it really that good? Since when is "as good as the .38" a good measure for choosing a primary self defense weapon?

The gun is big, heavy and only gives you five rounds. It's not cheap at least in comparison to other modern, reliable high capacity semis that can be had for about the same $$.

Again, .410 has never been on the list of reliable man stoppers, as evidenced by its nearly complete absence in the law enforcement and military world. It'll take more than some backyard tests, even from the box o' truth, (even though a lot of the tests I've seen show substandard penetration on clothed gelatin) to convince me that the Judge is a viable first choice for self defense. There simply are better tools available for the job.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Owning a Judge is not a requirement to talk about terminal ballistics, ammunition selection/availability and overall practicality.

Winchester's new brew for the Judge might be good, but at over $1.00 per round, is it really that good? Since when is "as good as the .38" a good measure for choosing a primary self defense weapon?

The gun is big, heavy and only gives you five rounds. It's not cheap at least in comparison to other modern, reliable high capacity semis that can be had for about the same $$.

Again, .410 has never been on the list of reliable man stoppers, as evidenced by its nearly complete absence in the law enforcement and military world. It'll take more than some backyard tests, even from the box o' truth to convince me that the Judge is a viable first choice for self defense. There simply are better tools available for the job.

Gotta go along with that.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since when is "as good as the .38" a good measure for choosing a primary self defense weapon?

It's not that it's "as good as a 38"... Terminal ballistics on that certain cartridge is equal to five rounds of .38spl fired/hitting all at the same time. Six rounds of PDX1 410 Handgun is equal to 30 rounds of .38spl (according to the reports:))

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Again, .410 has never been on the list of reliable man stoppers, as evidenced by its nearly complete absence in the law enforcement and military world. It'll take more than some backyard tests, even from the box o' truth, (even though a lot of the tests I've seen show substandard penetration on clothed gelatin) to convince me that the Judge is a viable first choice for self defense. There simply are better tools available for the job.

The absence of it in the military or LEO doesn't disqualify it as a home SD round. Not a fair assessment of the platform, or its intended use.

The .38 using one projectile at sub 1K fps is lacking in the Judge putting 5, .32 cal rounds entering the body at over 1K fps. Heavy cover on the perp will reduce the effectiveness of every pistol round including the .45acp that we all know will take off legs and arms with a near miss.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not that it's "as good as a 38"... Terminal ballistics on that certain cartridge is equal to five rounds of .38spl fired/hitting all at the same time. Six rounds of PDX1 410 Handgun is equal to 30 rounds of .38spl (according to the reports:))

According to the marketing you mean, LOL.

It might equal the weight and force, but does the penetration of any projectile from a PDX1 specialty round match that of self-defense/specialty .38 special? I'll bet not.

The absence of it in the military or LEO doesn't disqualify it as a home SD round. Not a fair assessment of the platform, or its intended use.

Sure, it doesn't disqualify it....but it is one factor to consider and it takes it out of serious contention for me, at least when choosing a primary self defense platform. (in the context of the OP we aren't just talking about Home SD)

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It is a close in weapon, at 7 feet it will create a fearsome wound cavity. I can see having it at bedside, but it is huge. CC with that would be a cold weather attire type deal.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington 870 youth model 20 gauge. I handled one when I was looking for a shotgun for my teenage daughter. All I could think about was how awesome it would be for home defense. Light, short, and a powerful enough gauge to be effective. I went with a full size since it is needed for hunting and I can fit it to that role later when the kids are older.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There you go! I have a small safe for my 20 gauge and 12 gauge. It rates only 7 long guns, but I've got my pistols and revolvers in it too, along with important papers. I've got my Glock and bulldog on my person, as I always do, except at work, when they go into a small gun vault mounted onto the frame of my truck. Someone mentioned accessibility on this thread earlier, and they're right. You don't want to be headed to the safe in time of need. Always keep one (or two) on you.

Dakota Safe

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a Judge Defender and use those defender rounds that have the 3 copper plated discs and 9 pellets behind those. I guarantee they are man stoppers. It has enough kick that the discs run up in and inch spacing on your target and there is a spread of shot around those three nasty holes. I have shot a two by four and they went all the way through. I would much rather have this gun next to my bed. If it don't kill you it will damn sure scare you to death.

Latest posts

Top Bottom