Tax stamp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you make color copies of the stamp, you must either enlarge the copies to at least 120%, or reduce them to at least 80%. They are treated the same as currency, drivers licenses, and postage stamps. If making black and white copies, it doesn't matter the size - no reduction/enlargement required. Personally, I don't keep color copies of stamps - b/w only for me.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you make color copies of the stamp, you must either enlarge the copies to at least 120%, or reduce them to at least 80%. They are treated the same as currency, drivers licenses, and postage stamps. If making black and white copies, it doesn't matter the size - no reduction/enlargement required. Personally, I don't keep color copies of stamps - b/w only for me.

I reduce them, but I think you might be wrong on the point that that cannot be copied at 100%. This is because when you receive them, they are "canceled" due to the item's serial number written on them.

EXD 45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I reduce them, but I think you might be wrong on the point that that cannot be copied at 100%. This is because when you receive them, they are "canceled" due to the item's serial number written on them.

Cancelled or not it MUST be copied at 120%. Any state or federal issued form, license or whatever, unless being copied black and white, must be reduced or enlarged.
Honestly I would just make a b&w copy put it in a plastic sleeve and leave it alone.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cancelled or not it MUST be copied at 120%. Any state or federal issued form, license or whatever, unless being copied black and white, must be reduced or enlarged.
Honestly I would just make a b&w copy put it in a plastic sleeve and leave it alone.

I can see where your worry could be from but unless you can cite
Some sort of code or law im going to have to call BS

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you think anybody has ever purchased a nfa item then sold it and kept the stamp for another nfa item (i.e. a silencer with the same serial or a copy of the weapon)

If they do, they are commiting a felony. As far as the stamps go, I have sold two of my NFA items and sold both old stamps to a stamp collector. Plenty of folks do this all of the time. There is nothing "magical" about the stamps. They are nothing more than tax revenue stamps. They simply show that the tax has been paid on the item described on the Form 1/4. It is the registration paperwork that is important part; mainly that the weapon description, serial # and owner are correct and that it matches what the NFA registry shows.

Here are several NFA stamp for sale: http://www.ericjackson.com/catalog/results.asp?group=20&pagenum=1

EXD 45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see where your worry could be from but unless you can cite
Some sort of code or law im going to have to call BS

I apologize I didn't know you were a Branch Manager of a local print shop, lol. As soon as I get to work in the morning I will scan the page and post it.

No hard feelings I would call BS ad well if I didn't know the law.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I apologize I didn't know you were a Branch Manager of a local print shop, lol. As soon as I get to work in the morning I will scan the page and post it.

No hard feelings I would call BS ad well if I didn't know the law.

Manager? I wish. Those lazy bums make bank in the paper business!

I'm not trying to bust your balls. It just seems to be one of those things that gets brought up every so often but no one seems to ever prove it's a real law.

EXD 45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Manager? I wish. Those lazy bums make bank in the paper business!

I'm not trying to bust your balls. It just seems to be one of those things that gets brought up every so often but no one seems to ever prove it's a real law.

I wish I was lazy, and I wish I was the owner. Because with all the money and business we bring in it must be nice to be him!

No worries, I will find the currency, legal docs, state and federal papers regs tomorrow.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

This has been discussed ad nauseum on other forums and I believe in Small Arms Review. Because the stamp has been canceled and no longer has monetary value, there is no prohibition against an identical color copy of the stamp.

I also believe that the idea of "intent" comes into play also. If you make a 100% copy of the stamp, photoshop out the canceled serial number and try to affix it to another Form 4 you are talking about a different kettle of fish.

I scan my Form 4s, front and back as a single page. I print them out and laminate the copies. Originals get stored in the bank. Duplicates go into a book that I take with me whenever I go shooting. I take 'em all so that I don't mistakenly leave the one I need in the safe!!

I have NEVER had anyone who looked at my Form 4s go "hold on there pardner, you have a 100% copy of this here stamp. I'm gonna have to haul you in for that."

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom