Teachers strike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rust Shackleford

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely. Change the schools from babysitting operations to centers for learning.
We have two family members that are teachers, neither liberal but they have to abide by the liberal ways to keep their jobs.
Both have CC and are pretty good shooters. Nobody else in their school knows they even own a gun, and they don't take them to school, so they are basically victims.

They need to find a new place to teach. Not all school are like this. We have a trap shooting team for middle school and high school kids.
Myself and many others at my school have Oklahoma hand gun permits. I do wish we could carry inside the school, but alas, that has not happened yet.

How long has it been since it would have been acceptable for a teacher to bring a gun into the classroom?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At my school we still:
Say the Pledge of Allegiance every day
Sing the national anthem before sporting events
Have a character development system. I pause many times waiting for a yes or no sir early in the school year. By now they get it.
*We don't count change back in the middle school, they may cover this in HS but I'm not sure
They diagram sentences in 6th grade
We do long division nearly every day in 6th grade
We have an electronic card catalog
Fighting will get you suspended no questions asked, chewing gum is an automatic detention, I've never had a kid throw a spit wad i my class. I do wish we could still use a paddle, but rest assured we do discipline.

You have somewhat restored my faith in the system. Thanks for posting this.

Oh; is this a public or private school, if I may ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rust Shackleford

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have somewhat restored my faith in the system. Thanks for posting this.

Oh; is this a public or private school, if I may ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're welcome, and thank you for the discourse. It's nice to have a conversation with level headed intelligent people.

We are a public school. For a size reference we are 3A.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hey, we must have been classmates even, I was there at the same time. Remember that guy who used to teach study hall at NWC that wore a bow tie? Mr. Beverly Houck? I made life miserable for that poor bastage...we'd cut holes in the newspaper for our eyes and watch him; yelling crap like "Bev! Hey, Bev!" when he wasn't staring directly at ya, just to piss the poor old guy off until we got caught and sent for swats as per above.

man, you guys were nice compared to some of the kids at our school. We had one teacher (who had known anger issues) with old model hearing-aids that picked up background noise better than they could discussions, so we'd take turns tapping our pencils on our desks anytime he wasn't looking. Day-in-and-day-out, every 5th period, we tapped those pencils. He ended up losing it one day and flipping over his desk, we had a series of subs the rest of the year, never saw him again.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
At my school we still:
Say the Pledge of Allegiance every day
Sing the national anthem before sporting events
Have a character development system. I pause many times waiting for a yes or no sir early in the school year. By now they get it.
*We don't count change back in the middle school, they may cover this in HS but I'm not sure
They diagram sentences in 6th grade
We do long division nearly every day in 6th grade
We have an electronic card catalog
Fighting will get you suspended no questions asked, chewing gum is an automatic detention, I've never had a kid throw a spit wad i my class. I do wish we could still use a paddle, but rest assured we do discipline.

I know of several places like this. All private though.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what do we use as a comprehensive measurement of what teachers or students do?
That is a complex issue that would require a separate discussion forum and can include many different studies and theories. For the sake of keeping it short, teachers can and should be able to accurately measure and track their student's progress. Those who interact with the student can measure things that often are not demonstrated on an exam. Administrators can and should monitor, evaluate, motivate, guide, and evaluate what teachers are doing.

The fact that so many encountered in stores can't make change without a register telling them or the fact that most tweens to 30yr.olds can quote the Kardashians but not the founding fathers?
And how do we judge teachers or are we now not supposed to question them or where our tax money goes and what value it returns regardless of all the negatives we see?

I've encountered these people as well, but are there more of them now than in the past? Or has our expectation changed to one that perceives that an assembly line education model will produce children that will perform alike? There are so many social and cultural factors in play that parents and teachers have a difficult time overcoming. Keep in mind that children spend years with their parent(s) before ever encountering their first classroom teacher. Then during the school years parents still are in control of their children many more hours per day than teachers are. Both are battling social media and technology while a single parent is trying to provide, or both parents working leaving children often unsupervised. Or at the least children are rarely exposed to the modeling that an adult should provide. Much of the culture inside a school is determined by the culture outside the school. Again, education reform is a topic that I wish I knew all the answers to, but I do know this from experience, testing as a primary measurement of students, teachers, and schools is not a fair or accurate indicator.

Latest posts

Top Bottom