Thank God for Airweights...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to dump my pocket .380, which is just a grab and go gun for a Airweight. I usually have a Glock on person.
Any persuasion to go with a 642 over a 442? Aren't there new models available without the ILS?

Edit: Looks like the 642 is available w/o the ILS and is model SW103810FC.

HAHA, Centennial....psh......

Bodyguard > *

Only joking sort of. ;) Nice gun man.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's tight and not recessed (should it be?). The screw head is slightly deformed like the wrong size flat head was used to tighten it up. Also there are some tiny scratches around that area.
The gun is new directly from the distributor, but it piques my interest that you point out this area when it has what appears to be minor defects. All this is assuming the screw you are referring to is the one right behind "Airweight".

You need to check the front / yoke screw. It looks to be to far out.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if the gun is blasted or not but the finish is matte from the factory. That's what pushed me toward the 642, stainless without the bling.

Bead blasting works pretty good on stainless to create a matte finish. There is also a blackening process for stainless. I don't know if anyone local does it.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was several differences that weighed in on my decision. I really had no use for SA, I thought the 642 was a bit sleeker/compact with no hump, and it was hammerless (shrouded) with no hammer channel to gather pocket lint. Just my PP :D

HAHA, Centennial....psh......

Bodyguard > *

Only joking sort of. ;) Nice gun man.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's tight and not recessed. The screw head is slightly deformed like the wrong size flat head was used to tighten it up. Also there are some tiny scratches around that area.
The gun is new directly from the distributor, but it peaks my interest that you point out this area when it has what appears to be minor defects. All this is assuming the screw you are referring to is the one right behind "Airweight".

Thats the one, right below the cylinder. It holds the yoke in place.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should it be flush with the frame and will removing it send parts flying?
Thanks!

Should be pretty much flush, and no, it will not send parts flying. I bought one that had the holsterless pocket clip on it and it had an off sized screw that looked kinda like that. Called S&W and they sent me a OEM screw for $0.00.

Latest posts

Top Bottom