Thank God for Airweights...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(As I pull on my kevlar man panties)

I think it's great how Ruger improved on the S&W j-frame design with their LCR.

awww.threadbombing.com_data_media_4_wonder_woman.gif

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to dump my pocket .380, which is just a grab and go gun for a Airweight. I usually have a Glock on person.
Any persuasion to go with a 642 over a 442? Aren't there new models available without the ILS?

Edit: Looks like the 642 is available w/o the ILS and is model SW103810FC.

I'll never sell mine either. It is too handy and WAY better than a .380 automatic.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to dump my pocket .380, which is just a grab and go gun for a Airweight. I usually have a Glock on person.
Any persuasion to go with a 642 over a 442? Aren't there new models available without the ILS?

Edit: Looks like the 642 is available w/o the ILS and is model SW103810FC.

The 442 and 642 are the same gun, just different finishes. The 442 is black and the 642 is silver. Both are available without the lock for now, usually for about $20-50 more than the lock version.

Mine is a 642 no lock that I picked up new at Sports World about 2 years ago. If you can't find one locally, do a search for "642 no lock" on gunbroker.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since my first post I found the 442 no lock, SW150544FC.
I was curious if one finish was more desirable than the other. Looks like both are Al and stainless or Al and carbon steel.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since my first post I found the 442 no lock, SW150544FC.
I was curious if one finish was more desirable than the other. Looks like both are AL and stainless or AL and carbon steel.

I prefer the 442 over the 642, because I think the matte black just looks better than S&W's attempt at a matte stainless. The color is more uniform in appearance on the 442 over the 642.

However...

You gotta take into consideration that the blued carbon steel of the barrel, crane and cylinder is more succeptible (sp?) to rust than it's stainless steel sibling.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking.... Black was appealing for stealth and SS for corrosion resistance. Especially since this would be a summer (sweaty) gun.
Never was a big fan of stainless carry guns though, it always plays over in my head; I saw a shiny object in his hand.... Tough decision.

I prefer the 442 over the 642, because I think the matte black just looks better than S&W's attempt at a matte stainless. The color is more uniform in appearance on the 442 over the 642.

However...

You gotta take into consideration that the blued carbon steel of the barrel, crane and cylinder is more succeptible (sp?) to rust than it's stainless steel sibling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom