The Landowner's Hunting Freedom Act (2012 SB 1743): Hunting with Suppressors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AckleyShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
got this from Snipershide. Chris (50calcrusier) and I both have been to senator russells office and talked to him about the bill prior to the house vote. We stated our concern for the language that would allow game wardens to issue fines for ANY VIOLATION (read: not enough orange, not immediately affixing a tag to a game animal etc...) while a suppressor is attached to your rifle. This means taking off your orange hat for a minute while hunting with a suppressor would allow the game warden to issue a $500-$1000 fine. Sen. Russell agreed with our concerns and told us there would be a possibility that the Senate would take it to conference and clean up the language to ensure that the violation would have to involve using the suppressor to break a game law.

Just got off the phone with Russell. He will not except the extra fine language everyone is concerned about. He is going to clean up the language to make sure the extra fine only pertains to the abuse of a suppressor directly and put it back on the floor. It will pass the senate easily (already did once without the extra fine). Once it is in the house he said he has no concern about it not passing for no reason other than it is a NRA backed bill and this is Oklahoma.

(I added the this is Oklahoma part)

Senate adjourns the 17th of May. It will get done.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any information on any updates or changes to the bill? I would like to know what if any clarifications were made to the penalty language.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update from Senator Russell hot off the email presses:

Senator Russell said:
It has passed out of the Senate from conference. Will be heard in House Conference Committee tomorrow. I adjusted the penalty language to specifically state "while using a suppressor" instead of "for any purpose." Expect the bill to pass tomorrow and make it to the house floor this week. Final vote in the senate should not be a problem. Steve

Latest posts

Top Bottom