"The Official 2010-2011 Hunting Season Success Pics"!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RackStacker30

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot this doe Sunday afternoon around 5:30 at 15 yards with my Bowtech Tomkat compound and was using an expandable Vortex 100 grain Solid broadhead. First pic shows the entrance wound and the second shows the exit. You can tell the blades didn’t expand out until they entered the body cavity and might have deflected the arrow a bit. She was slightly quartering to me at 15 yards so the exit looks a little far back. She had been blowing to the north of me off and on for about 20 minutes. She was upwind of me, so something else was bugging her. She finally got spooked and ran directly by my stand… Gave here the ‘ole “MEH” to stop her and let the arrow fly with the Lumenok visible after the pass through. It was quite the workout dragging her about 300 yards out of the woods to the field where I could drive the truck. It always seems that I kill my deer when I’m by myself and nobody is around to help! Now that I have my target practice out of the way, hopefully a big boy will show up soon...

ai436.photobucket.com_albums_qq89_electronicsns_Hunting_Deer_2ef91718c628358e4123fc06d8ef0feab.jpg

ai436.photobucket.com_albums_qq89_electronicsns_Hunting_Deer_20605bc38480dfbaf06bbcc393797ed3f.jpg

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's my doe I shot on saturday morning.. Already had some butterflied back straps last night , (sorry I didnt call you Dr Tad, it was short notice!! ) she tasted great, now just gotta get the stinkin video uploaded!

Nice and tender I'll bet.
Talked to your dad today:naughty:

Uh oh.. did you talk to him about old tractors???

He's changed gears as he's got older.. back when he was on shift work he hunted all the time, alot with his bow.. He has a Colorado bighorn recurve that he doesn't get out much , but I still like getting out and hunting with him in powder and rifle seasons, brings back memories of when he used to take me when I couldn't drive..

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got some meat for the freezer this morning. We have not been seeing much activity at all. I had put 7 sits in a couple different stands of mine, and my dad hunted one of his favorites yesterday without seeing much. He let me hunt it this morning for a change of scenery and he went to another stand.

About 8 a.m. I hear deer blowing about 150 yards away (can't see more than 40-50 yards it's so thick). They are upwind of me, so I know it's not me that is spooking them. I figure they must be smelling some dogs I heard barking earlier. They blow and blow for about 30 minutes, gradually getting further away. I decide they must have gone a different route, and break out a granola bar and some water.

They start heading my way again. I hear them jump the fence and turn around to see a doe heading my way. Then I see one in front of her. True to form I had to set down my granola bar and water, barely having enough time to come to full draw as she entered my only shooting lane. She paused slightly quartering towards me and I sent one through both lungs at 17 yards. She ran 50 yards and I heard (but couldn't see) her crash. Still using Montec G5's this year, probably always will.

Funny thing is I would guess half the deer I have killed in my lifetime have came in while I'm eating something. I shot one last year during early bow with a granola bar hanging out of my mouth like a cigar because I had no time to put it anywhere. Maybe I should eat more granola bars on stand?

Now I owe the old man a sit in one of my best stands.:rolleyes2 :D

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_023_1.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got some meat for the freezer this morning. We have not been seeing much activity at all. I had put 7 sits in a couple different stands of mine, and my dad hunted one of his favorites yesterday without seeing much. He let me hunt it this morning for a change of scenery and he went to another stand.

About 8 a.m. I hear deer blowing about 150 yards away (can't see more than 40-50 yards it's so thick). They are upwind of me, so I know it's not me that is spooking them. I figure they must be smelling some dogs I heard barking earlier. They blow and blow for about 30 minutes, gradually getting further away. I decide they must have gone a different route, and break out a granola bar and some water.

They start heading my way again. I hear them jump the fence and turn around to see a doe heading my way. Then I see one in front of her. True to form I had to set down my granola bar and water, barely having enough time to come to full draw as she entered my only shooting lane. She paused slightly quartering towards me and I sent one through both lungs at 17 yards. She ran 50 yards and I heard (but couldn't see) her crash. Still using Montec G5's this year, probably always will.

Funny thing is I would guess half the deer I have killed in my lifetime have came in while I'm eating something. I shot one last year during early bow with a granola bar hanging out of my mouth like a cigar because I had no time to put it anywhere. Maybe I should eat more granola bars on stand?

Now I owe the old man a sit in one of my best stands.:rolleyes2 :D

]

Nice doe! Know what ya mean about eating in the stand. Seems like every time you get distracted, somebody shows up.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on a nice doe. I've only killed one doe with my bow and it's way more rewarding than using a rifle. I usually have deer come in to me if I decide to close my eyes for a couple of minutes. So now everytime I go hunting I tell myself to close my eyes, then I never see anything! j/k

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This was one of those times where you KNOW you made a perfect shot, so that makes it fun. I saw the fletchings bury up right where I wanted them in slow motion and knew everything came together instantly.

This doe sets a couple firsts for me. Earliest in the year I've ever connected (by 6 days), and the first time I've ever beat my dad and hunting partner to the first deer of the year.

I'm kicking around the idea of taking the recurve out a couple times this week now that I have meat. I've never taken a deer with a trad bow to date.
With my luck I'll have the biggest buck I've ever seen in compound range with that recurve in my hand. I can't (or won't) shoot very far with it. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom