The "Rechargeable Batteries in your LED (CR123-based) Flashlights" Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking that I finally need to take the plunge as I've got a few CR123A flashlights (mostly single-cell, but a few two-cell lights). I realize this is probably a better question for CPF, but I know we've got a few rechargeable-users here, so I thought I'd ask just in case.

So I'm looking at a couple of different setups as most of my lights will support either an RCR123 or a 16340 light.

I can get 900mah RCR123s and I can get 880mah 16340s so other than the size of the 16340 cell, I'm not sure what else the difference is in actual use.

Who runs either and what has your experience been? Any preference as to the style charger (I'm thinking the smart-chargers are best, but I don't know if you get a few dozen extra charges out of strictly trickle chargers).

Thanks in advance.

Mykah

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thats a very minimal difference in mah, probably nothing you will notice. I would personally go with the RCR123A. Just make sure you can use the 3.6 (3.7) li-ion version in the lights. Some flashlights you have to use the Life4po RCR123a which is 3.2v and only goes to about 750mah.

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer the RCR123s with protection circuits for single cell lights that get a lot of use. The protection circuits will not let the batteries discharge too much, which can be bad for them. Only problem is that the batteries suddenly shut off when they get low instead of fading.

I prefer the use a 17670 in two cell lights if it will fit. Most lights work fine this way. If a light is compatible with a 18650, it is the way to go.

For a charger, I use an old Ultrafire 4-bay charger. If this one goes out, I would probably pick up one of the Nitecore Intellichargers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom