The Shadow has landed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little trick that works on my CZ-75B to decock it works like this:

Rack the slide, hammer will be cocked
While holding the hammer back with your thumb or placing one of you phalanges between the hammer and slide, pull the trigger all the way back
Completely release the trigger and don't touch it again
SLOWLY lower the hammer. It will stop at a "half cock" position
From there, you may fire away in DA mode; it will not allow the safety to be placed "on", however
I believe the pistol is still drop safe in this mode, but I'm not 100% certain

(This is my free advice, worth everything you paid for it. I am not responsible for anyone not following these directions exactly, or any individual differences between your gun and mine that my result in what I posted to be complete rubbish. Also, I am not responsible for any bad Karma you may have floating around, or if you have offended Odin in some meaningful way. In short, this works on mine. Specifically, do not contact me if you accidentally blow a hole in your wife's china cabinet, tv or the cat. Coffee table exception applies, as do funny videos)

Oh, and SF, that is a gorgeous pistol!
My tv (not a chance I would put a hole it) , China cabinet in dining room and it's safe and the damn cat already had a hole in it.
That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little trick that works on my CZ-75B to decock it works like this:

Rack the slide, hammer will be cocked
While holding the hammer back with your thumb or placing one of you phalanges between the hammer and slide, pull the trigger all the way back
Completely release the trigger and don't touch it again
SLOWLY lower the hammer. It will stop at a "half cock" position
From there, you may fire away in DA mode; it will not allow the safety to be placed "on", however
I believe the pistol is still drop safe in this mode, but I'm not 100% certain
I believe with the hammer lowered all the way down, the safety can be applied, allowing hammer-down on a loaded chamber carry with the safety "on", but I don't have a 75 anymore to check and I'm going off an admittedly bad memory.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe with the hammer lowered all the way down, the safety can be applied, allowing hammer-down on a loaded chamber carry with the safety "on", but I don't have a 75 anymore to check and I'm going off an admittedly bad memory.

I'm not sure, but I think the safety only works with the hammer cocked.

Hold on, I'll double check....

Checked, and the safety will not engage on hammer down or "half cock". BUT mine is the older non-Omega trigger. I used to have a P07 with the Omega trigger, but for the life of me, I can't remember if it worked the same way.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SA (Single Action) The trigger mechanism operates in a single action mode of fire. The hammer is cocked manually and then after pressing the trigger the pistol is fired. The trigger travel is short, and pull weight is low. After each discharge the hammer remains cocked. DA (Double Action) The trigger mechanism operates in a double action mode of fire. The hammer is cocked, released and the pistol fired by one pull of the trigger. The trigger travel is longer, and trigger pull weight is higher than at SA mode of fire. Safety Stop on the Hammer A half-cock safety notch is on the hammer so as to prevent it from striking the firing pin when the hammer is manually cocked, and a thumb possibly slips. When the hammer hits the safety stop, it is not touching the firing pin stop, but its position is set back.
Engaging the Safety Push the safety up to the Safety-On position (Fig. 5) until the red warning dot is covered. The safety in this position blocks the trigger mechanism and slide, thus preventing the pulling of the trigger and operating the slide. Since the trigger mechanism has been specifically adjusted, it is possible to move the safety onto the "SAFE" position even if the hammer is placed on the safety notch. In this case, however, it is strongly not recommended to engage the safety because the trigger mechanism might be damaged when cocking the hammer by force or pulling the trigger. If damage to the trigger mechanism occurs, let it be repaired by a certified gunsmith. Besides the method previously described it is possible to put the pistol into a safety mode and still be ready to fire immediately: Load the pistol. Grasp the grip, POINT IN A SAFE DIRECTION. With a thumb press on the grooved area (thumb piece) of the hammer, pull the trigger and release the hammer slowly forward (Fig. 6) until it rests on the action or safety notch of the hammer. Release the trigger. Practise this operation very carefully to avoid an accidental discharge! We strongly recommend to practise this operation beforehand with the pistol unloaded! In this state the pistol is safe for all normal handling and at the same time ready for immediate use.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The half cock safety notch is there to catch the hammer should it slip from one's grasp, or if it mechanically fails to remain cocked. I have often heard the pistol is not to be carried on half cock.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The half cock safety notch is there to catch the hammer should it slip from one's grasp, or if it mechanically fails to remain cocked. I have often heard the pistol is not to be carried on half cock.
But why? You got me wondering. Mechanically, what would be the drawbacks?
Going to play around with it and see what's what.
In one position, you're not supposed to engage the safety because forcing could damage one of the springs

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because it was not designed to be carried that way is the best I can come up with. Hi Powers and 1911s can be carried the same way, but, again, were not designed to be so carried. And I believe the half cock position is the "one position" you mentioned in the above post.

Latest posts

Top Bottom