The shoe's getting ready to drop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wailing and lamentations of the wimminfolk is a good one too. :)

Can you disagree with any of the points raised though?

Well, I can't remember any significant gun restrictions coming out of Columbine, or Aurora. We've had two big SCOTUS cases go our way since Columbine, despite Michael Moore's dancing in the blood of those kids.

Should we be vigilant? Sure. But I'm not predicting the demise of the 2A out of this, or even any significant restrictions. What we can do is watch people reactions, like certain Senators (Edited...it was Joe Manchin, (D) WV) who claimed to be "pro gun".

The shoe is not going to drop. There is no shoe. Dianne Feinstein introduces a new AWB every year, and every year it dies in committee. Gun control is still a political loser, and more so now than after Columbine.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're missing the point. We're not talking about making all public schools into parochial schools, we're talking about having a clear moral code being taught in schools.

You're missing the point my friend... It is a parents responsibility to teach such things. Parents should teach morals. Parents should teach the difference between right and wrong. I remember a day when that was done with a belt. Alas I watch as even my own sister and BIL just ignore my often turrible little nephews... And I keep my mouth shut, as I am not their parent.

Schools should teach history, maths, sciences, and proper grammar and literary skills on a scale that could, one day, maybe level us out in the academic world. Maybe to shoot back into the world top ten.

No, sir, I am not "missing the point." Parents may be the primary teachers of morality and religion/faith/belief but the school used to be a mirror of the parents' morality and beliefs. That was stripped away while I was in grade school about sixty years ago. Sixty years-that's a generation or two of children who grew up in a world where the school did not conform with the morals and beliefs of the parents. Sixty years where the educational system slowly inculcated into society that religion was not important, that people had a "right" to feel good about themselves no matter what it meant to those around them-that their happiness was above all else. It is any wonder those children grew up into parents who believe that corporal punishment of children is never a good idea, but screaming their selves hoarse, threatening and bribing children to be "good" (i.e. quiet, behave, etc.) and who have abdicated their responsibility to teach morality TO THE SCHOOLS?

You wrote "Parents should...", "Parents should..." but who is there to backstop the teaching of morals and the difference between right and wrong when the parents fail to do so? You also wrote "...I keep my mouth shut, as I am not their parent." Even Hillary Clinton recognized that it "takes a village to raise a child." If you consider your extended family a "village" then by your own admission you are turning away from your responsibility to assist/backstop/bulwark your sister and brother-in-law. This attitude of yours is just one example of the legion of failures that give rise to situations such as we have witnessed of late.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I can't remember any significant gun restrictions coming out of Columbine, or Aurora. We've had two big SCOTUS cases go our way since Columbine, despite Michael Moore's dancing in the blood of those kids.

Should we be vigilant? Sure. But I'm not predicting the demise of the 2A out of this, or even any significant restrictions. What we can do is watch people reactions, like certain Senators (Edited...it was Joe Manchin, (D) WV) who claimed to be "pro gun".

The shoe is not going to drop. There is no shoe. Dianne Feinstein introduces a new AWB every year, and every year it dies in committee. Gun control is still a political loser, and more so now than after Columbine.

I'm with you on this. The biggest chance of anything happening in the recent aftermath is some show-boat Executive Order stuff dealing with the importation of some models of firearms and maybe ammunition.

Any real legislation will not/cannot make an appearance until next year. It will have to get through a still Republican controlled house, and the furor will have faded a bit because the sheeple will be distracted by some other shiny thing....

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I keep telling myself, I need to calm down and just wait to see if they actually start doing something, right now it seems to be just a bunch of people running their mouths. On the other hand, what if doing nothing now only encourages them to ban our semi-auto rifles, and our 15-20 round pistol mags, if they can do that, then they can restrict those rights we have left even further.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The big difference this time is the emotiona appeal 6 year olds have. As effed up as it may be, you can kill a lot more adults than little kids before the motional toll peaks. The news headlines are all about this being the "tipping point". There's a full court press by the anti's to coerce pro-gun and middle of the road legislators to cave.

I wasn't nearly as concerned after VT or Aurora as I am this time.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The big difference this time is the emotiona appeal 6 year olds have. As effed up as it may be, you can kill a lot more adults than little kids before the motional toll peaks. The news headlines are all about this being the "tipping point". There's a full court press by the anti's to coerce pro-gun and middle of the road legislators to cave.

I wasn't nearly as concerned after VT or Aurora as I am this time.

Big +1. The last thing we need to do is get complacent and think that "we got this". I hope that it goes the way it has been SMS but we cannot underestimate the power of emotion in this incident. Did you see the ABC poll? I'd wager that prior to the CT massacre it would have been 70/30 (or close to it) against any further restrictions. Now it's damn near a split. And with the way the election went, I just don't think logical thinking is occurring in this country anymore.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Remember Gian Luigi Ferri? He was the perpetrator of the 101 California Street Shootings on July 1st, 1993 (8 dead, 6 wounded). You can read about it on Wikipedia. In the Wikipedia article, it says that this shooting led directly to the enactment of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, H.R.3355, 103rd Congress (1994), which included the original "assault weapons" ban (i.e. the ban on guns with large capacity magazines or that look scary.) This was also the time of the Fairchild Air Force Base shootings by Dean Mellberg (June 20, 1994; 4 dead, 23 wounded), the shootings by Lynwood Drake III in California (November 7 & 8, 1992; 6 dead, 1 wounded) and the Luby's Massacre by George Hennard (Oct. 16, 1991; 23 dead, 20 wounded).

The shoe is most definitely going to drop...We've had more mass shootings with a higher body count this year than all four of the above cited shootings combined. (Oct. 16, 1991 to June 20, 1994: 41 dead, 50 wounded. July 16 to December 14, 2011: 48 dead, 82 wounded.)

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1992 was the bloodiest year, there were 42 mass shootings from 1990-1999, there have only been 26 between 2000-2010.

Go ahead and ban ARs and AKs. Charles Whittman used a bolt action to kill 14 people.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you on this. The biggest chance of anything happening in the recent aftermath is some show-boat Executive Order stuff dealing with the importation of some models of firearms and maybe ammunition.

Any real legislation will not/cannot make an appearance until next year. It will have to get through a still Republican controlled house, and the furor will have faded a bit because the sheeple will be distracted by some other shiny thing....

Word. Also, more and more of the smarter foreign manufacturers are flat out locating plants in the US to get around some of the import restrictions, like IMI.

Also, the politics of this country are nothing close to 1992. I still think that 99% of this is talk and bluster, and like SMS said an EO can only nibble at our heels...it can't trip us up.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Word. Also, more and more of the smarter foreign manufacturers are flat out locating plants in the US to get around some of the import restrictions, like IMI.

Also, the politics of this country are nothing close to 1992. I still think that 99% of this is talk and bluster, and like SMS said an EO can only nibble at our heels...it can't trip us up.

I hope you are both right.

And on the EO. Are you sure about that? Did you notice the new ATF mandates on reporting on dealers in only border states? They (the administration) pulled that right out of their a$$, and IIRC no EO required. What's next that will just happen by edict?

Latest posts

Top Bottom