The storm thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you going to do wrap them in a blanket? How is hauling a couple extra round bales out before the storm and staying home the one day it snows being pussified? If you're snowed in for a week then maybe I can see getting out at all costs to haul hay. Hauling hay out today just means you were either foolish for not doing it yesterday or are foolish for trying to do it today.

Exactly, except I wouldn't go more than a day or two before I would use the tractor to get them fed at all costs. Pretty much all you can do is count your calves the day before and then get out after and count them again. It's about all you can do other than have a barn built to protect them from blizzards which doesn't make much sense in OK.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made it in to work this morning. Roads around Ponca weren't that bad. I never even got into 4WD except for getting out of my driveway. Had some 2' drifts in the driveway already, so I'm sure I'll have to walk up when I get home and get the tractor out to blade off the snow.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Calving heifers, baby calves, dumb steers. Lots of money could be loss. Lots was loss on Christmas eve '09. Y'all just stay warm in your little house while the firefighters, police officers, and emt's are out doing their JOB.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I called myself and told myself, "Self just stay home today."

I agreed.

I can only get the back door open just enough to let fat but(my dog not my wife) get out. He was smart and woke me up around 2:30 to go out. he hasn't gotten 3 feet from the back door the few times I kicked him out already.

I'll probably venture out to go check things at work around lunch time. But the 10 degrees and -15 or so wind chill is more convincing to keep me home.

Oh and for the accumulation update around my house. looks like its about 6" in the front with a good 3-4' drift on the back side of the house. Same as last year.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife's company wanted to make sure someone was there to open the store and receive a shipment this morning so she stayed in a hotel in Tulsa last night rather than risk not being able to drive all the way there from Claremore.

Well not only is her store not going to open today but she cannot even get the minivan out of the hotel parking lot to come home and she is stuck in Tulsa at a hotel at $100 per night and has been on the phone with me for 4 hours trying to figure out an alternative or see if I could make it out to her with the Jeep and extract her from her predicament.

This would require taking my kids out on these roads and I don't feel like I can risk it.

Any suggestions?

Make her company pay for the hotel last night and tonight. This is kinda the reason I've chosen to stay closed today. While I think we might could get some business for a late lunch, I don't want the responsibility for my employees who get stuck trying trying to get to work. If I lived in Shawnee and felt comfortable that I could go rescue them if needed it would be a different story.

Latest posts

Top Bottom