This forum has seeminly gotten better...coinicidence or no?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Seeing as the Supreme Court has recognized hate speech (that isn't specifically threatening someone and thus bordering on assault) as free speech, I'd have to disagree.

The concept is the same. Why is it that you don't think that society can grow by allowing unfettered discussion on race (to include hate speech) but you think that a forum will grow if you get to speak to (or about) other members any way you want?

A unmoderated section isn't the boogeyman. It's not about cussing or being offensive. It's not about free speech or spouting of racist nonsense.

Having a unmoderated section is where a few members can post things we find interesting, controversial, humorous, colorful or funny and still have the convenience of being on this forum with all its good info and freinds.

I've said it a hundred times. OSA is like a coffee shop or barbershop. It's a place where gun enthusiasts can hang out. There's many different sections on this forum, you don't post or read in all of them, most dont.

I'd like a spot where moderators don't have to enforce rules. A spot where a conversation can go any way we choose without staying on a particular topic. And if JB wants to see me naked and singing for my supper, well we have a spot for just that.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If some want change so badly, make me an offer to buy the forum. I've had several already.

It's cheaper to start up another forum but the okie market can't sustain 5 forums. We are a niche market whether we admit it or not. There's just so many shooters that post on forums. Might as well make one as good as possible.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A unmoderated section isn't the boogeyman. It's not about cussing or being offensive. It's not about free speech or spouting of racist nonsense.

Having a unmoderated section is where a few members can post things we find interesting, controversial, humorous, colorful or funny and still have the convenience of being on this forum with all its good info and freinds.

I've said it a hundred times. OSA is like a coffee shop or barbershop. It's a place where gun enthusiasts can hang out. There's many different sections on this forum, you don't post or read in all of them, most dont.

I'd like a spot where moderators don't have to enforce rules. A spot where a conversation can go any way we choose without staying on a particular topic. And if JB wants to see me naked and singing for my supper, well we have a spot for just that.

If you'd like an unmoderated spot on the forum, then it follows that there are some facets of moderation that you disagree with. You think that that moderation in some way stunts the growth of OSA as a community. I'm just curious as to why you think the government should "moderate" free speech (steering the national conversation) and keep us from addressing ugly things head on?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you'd like an unmoderated spot on the forum, then it follows that there are some facets of moderation that you disagree with. You think that that moderation in some way stunts the growth of OSA as a community. I'm just curious as to why you think the government should "moderate" free speech (steering the national conversation) and keep us from addressing ugly things head on?

Absolutely no problems with our moderators. I do think moderators set the tone for conversations. Thus some conversations become to PC or even taboo.

I don't think the govt should moderate free speech any more than a moderator should. I'm not opposed to discussing any topic as passionately and openly as one desires.

I'm all for allowing a person's personality to come out in a conversation, especially on forums. I think that sometimes members want to express themselves but don't want to risk offending other members.

In that sense of being respectful to other members, a unmoderated section is a good idea. Those that may be offended don't have to join in or even read.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely no problems with our moderators. I do think moderators set the tone for conversations. Thus some conversations become to PC or even taboo.

I don't think the govt should moderate free speech any more than a moderator should. I'm not opposed to discussing any topic as passionately and openly as one desires.

I'm all for allowing a person's personality to come out in a conversation, especially on forums. I think that sometimes members want to express themselves but don't want to risk offending other members.

In that sense of being respectful to other members, a unmoderated section is a good idea. Those that may be offended don't have to join in or even read.

Just curious, but would you be willing to pay for such an area? Would it be something you'd pony up a monthly/yearly type of fee for? Sort of a "paid members only" type of area? I'm just wondering if there's any reconciliation between your stance and that of the mods.

JB, would a paid "members only/no moderator" section be an idea you'd entertain?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just curious, but would you be willing to pay for such an area? Would it be something you'd pony up a monthly/yearly type of fee for? Sort of a "paid members only" type of area? I'm just wondering if there's any reconciliation between your stance and that of the mods.

JB, would a paid "members only/no moderator" section be an idea you'd entertain?

I dunno if I'd pay or not. I kinda think forums are a thing of the past. The internet and communication is always changing. Yet a few of us hold on to and hang out on forums. Someday Pharrshot or Been may be the last of the forum members.

I know Facebook is hurting our classifieds and another forum has pulled away a few preppers. And another forum has pulled away a few members who bring some much needed entertainment to GD.

Plus it's much easier to start up a forum, pull a few key members away and offer cheap advertising for sponsors. I just don't know if I'd actually pay for the privilege to speak in a more colorful section.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My time in solitary is now over. I'm now nervous around large groups of people, and can't sleep at night. I'm always looking for the exits, and I've got a fear of enclosed spaces now. I fear I've become institutionalized.

Latest posts

Top Bottom