This Glock 9mm doesn't look right to me. One too many cylinders. (S&W Content)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked one up a couple of months ago - was looking for literally a year with no viable (i.e. reasonably priced) options and then Bingo saw it and bought it.
Mine is the 4" barrel square butt, bluing is good with just a little wear at the end of the barrel and on the leading edge of the cylinder.

I have found that loading must be done very precisely - it appears the chamber tolerance is very tight. Extraction has been just about the same as with K-Frame .38 spl models. A nice shooter like all 4" K-Frame S&Ws.

Glad you could get one. I hadn't been looking and it just showed up in my lap. Looking forward to getting it to the range.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I passed up a mint one for $700 a few years ago....like a dumb ass. I'm looking for one now. I have a stainless 940 j-frame.

That would be a great price for one. Guy in Oregon has a mint one with box and papers and a lot of extras (speedloaders, extra .357 barrel, and cylinder) for $1800.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I passed up a mint one for $700 a few years ago....like a dumb ass. I'm looking for one now. I have a stainless 940 j-frame.

I had a 940, in fact, bought it from OSA member then sold it to another one about 1-2 years ago. I don't care for the moon clips and mine had numerous small but annoying extraction issues. The 547 is much smoother across the board.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That made me chuckle. Still finding the French connection is the most likely truth. The S&W forum is down at the moment but google has a link to that forum that looks promising. Will update as I find it.
If, as ldp noted, Jinks said it was made for the Frenchies, take it to the bank. If there ever was an S&W expert, he's it.

ETA: Didn't see your response before posting....

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If, as ldp noted, Jinks said it was made for the Frenchies, take it to the bank. If there ever was an S&W expert, he's it.

ETA: Didn't see your response before posting....

Yeah, 2 data points. I still think the French/bouncing equipment thing is the funniest thing I've heard/read today.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Darkened Gunworld's door for the first time today on a tip from a member here and found 3 HKS Speedloaders for the 547. Their prices were batsh*t crazy on guns and ammo but these gems were 1/2 as much as a pair of used ones were going for on eBay.

View attachment 40290

If I were you, I'd go buy a lottery ticket before the sun sets.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd go buy a lottery ticket before the sun sets.

I may just do that. Their $19.99 price was still more than double the last price we had them at Outdoor America but still a decent find at less than 1/2 of this buy it now price. I passed on my good fortune to a guy at work that owns a 4" square butt 547. I figure 2 speed loaders will cover me.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Range Report:

07/02/2104
I was given advice by a co-worker to not shoot the gun if I was even remotely considering selling it as I would not be able to part with it afterwards. So obviously when given the chance to leave early from work, I jumped at it. I went to H&H because it is closer than Banner and I would only be shooting the new revolver and if you ask them to cook the onion burger a bit longer it isn't all mushy.

I have shot revolvers in the past but have never owned one so my experience is not extensive. Never really paid much attention to them as far as the nuances of recoil, trigger, grip, etc., so this is going to be a learning experience for me.

Loading: Both loading by hand and with the speedloaders was a breeze and I did not find any issues with the chambers being too tight but will continue to observe as I use different ammo in the future.
Grip: The factory S&W grips do not fill up my hand as much as I'd like and I will probably pick up a set that I like a bit more and stash the factory grips somewhere safe.
Weight: Pistol is a very good weight and has a nice balance to it. Easy to aim and hold for an extended period and absorbs recoil well.
DA Trigger: Heavy and long but smooth and manageable. Still on the fence about having it tinkered with.
SA Trigger: Extremely pleasant and surprisingly light.
Recoil: Completely manageable and not too snappy or sharp.
Accuracy: Unless I am shooting rapid, the accuracy with the DA is perfectly acceptable and I assume that as I get used to the gun I will be able to improve grouping rapid shots as well. As expected, the accuracy with the SA trigger is much better than DA.
Extraction: Nary an issue until the 8-9th string and then residue in the chambers caused one chamber to try to hold onto casings. I had read that this was a possibility and that the fix is to just use a brush in the chamber. Swabbed the chambers and issue was no more.

12 rounds per target for a total of 60 rounds of American Eagle 115gr @ ~7m.
Target 1 - 12 rds DA medium pace
Target 2 - 12 rds SA medium pace
Target 3 - 12 rds SA slow pace
Target 4 - 12 rds DA slow pace
Target 5 - 6rds DA/6rds SA rapid pace (2 fliers at bottom center are from rapid DA)

i1132.photobucket.com_albums_m575_gabrielmkvigli_OSA_8E843A75_af68dce6c683d26dd5cf31ed00bf56fa.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom