This Glock 9mm doesn't look right to me. One too many cylinders. (S&W Content)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have read about them and, of course, seen pictures on-line but never expected someone to put one into my hand and then let it go for cheap. I was planning on taking it to the range before work tomorrow but going to run down the lead on the speed loaders in the morning and may go tomorrow evening or Thursday.

FGST is shooting in July....hint hint. ;)

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FGST is shooting in July....hint hint. ;)

If I'm not attending one of those National Guard exercises that uses all of those crisis actors that get the tinfoil hat crowd up in arms (hint: start looking at CL ads near Indianapolis, remember folks you saw it here before Infowars), I will try to make it out there.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will try. Should have a range report by Thursday afternoon. I am excited. The single action trigger is really nice and the double action is smooth but kinda heavy. This is the first wheel gun I have owned so no real experience with them. Hope I like it after the powder settles.

Perfectly normal. It can be made significantly better with nothing more than a spring kit. It's probably pulling in the range of 12 -15 lbs now if it hasn't been worked on. My competition revos one N frame and an L frame pull right at 6lbs, but I have to use Federal primers for reliability. Without chopping the back half of the hammer off you can probably get it down to 8.5 lbs or so. If you can stomach that pull long enough (lots of practice) you will actually grow to prefer it over the SA mode. I never shoot single action any more.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perfectly normal. It can be made significantly better with nothing more than a spring kit. It's probably pulling in the range of 12 -15 lbs now if it hasn't been worked on. My competition revos one N frame and an L frame pull right at 6lbs, but I have to use Federal primers for reliability. Without chopping the back half of the hammer off you can probably get it down to 8.5 lbs or so. If you can stomach that pull long enough (lots of practice) you will actually grow to prefer it over the SA mode. I never shoot single action any more.

Planning on having the smith take a look at it tomorrow and having him test the trigger pull weight. Is the 547 the same internally as the rest of the K frames? I know that the hammer situation is different but wasn't sure about the rest.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay I had to go read up a bit on it. Most of it should be the same. Obviously the extractor rod is different, but I saw that it has a different hammer and firing pin setup and they used a stronger mainspring. Can't for the life of me see that being needed, but I don't know what firing pin arrangement is either. Aside from that most of it should be very similar if not the same.

In order to run the 9mm the 547 had several unique design features. The extractor is grooved, and inside the grooves are six spring steel fingers that pop out to engage the extractor grooves in the 9mm case. A flat hammer, without a firing pin, strikes two pins, a free floating firing pin and a cartridge retaining pin. The retaining pin prevents the case from bouncing back as it's fired, resulting in the firing pin punching a hole in the primer, and maintains the proper headspacing for the cartridge. A stronger mainspring was used to ensure ignition of primers, especially the harder primers found in most European ammo.

Source

Edit: With this in mind you probably ought not be changing mainsprings and since the rebound spring has to overcome the mainspring for the trigger to reset, you'll not be able to drop that as much as usual. The rebound spring is where S&W goes ape**** overboard on the spring weight. Normally you can drop that way off and it goes directly against the trigger so you feel it.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay I had to go read up a bit on it. Most of it should be the same. Obviously the extractor rod is different, but I saw that it has a different hammer and firing pin setup and they used a stronger mainspring. Can't for the life of me see that being needed, but I don't know what firing pin arrangement is either. Aside from that most of it should be very similar if not the same.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Planning on having the smith take a look at it tomorrow and having him test the trigger pull weight. Is the 547 the same internally as the rest of the K frames? I know that the hammer situation is different but wasn't sure about the rest.

Except for the hammer/firing pin, her extraction method she is identical to all other K-frame guns. The reason I mentioned that the 547 was made for the French police is that I've seen the S&W's and Manurhin 9mm revolvers being carried by them, and also reading a S&W letter by Mr. Jenks stating the same. The 547 cannot be used with moon clips, as it was designed to function like all other rimmed revolver cartridges.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Except for the hammer/firing pin, her extraction method she is identical to all other K-frame guns. The reason I mentioned that the 547 was made for the French police is that I've seen the S&W's and Manurhin 9mm revolvers being carried by them, and also reading a S&W letter by Mr. Jenks stating the same. The 547 cannot be used with moon clips, as it was designed to function like all other rimmed revolver cartridges.

I was wondering if they would work. Don't think I'd have anyone milling on that cylinder for them anyway, I doubt that S&W has any replacements. The ejector rod looks a lot different and I suspect that's where a lot of the cost was with milling those spring slots in it.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was wondering if they would work. Don't think I'd have anyone milling on that cylinder for them anyway, I doubt that S&W has any replacements. The ejector rod looks a lot different and I suspect that's where a lot of the cost was with milling those spring slots in it.

If S&W tried to manufacture the 547 today I can only imagine what the price would be (2000.00+).

Latest posts

Top Bottom