Thoughts on a kids first rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My girlfriends 8 year old daughter has expressed an interest in learning about shooting. She's done the Red Ryder thing for a few weekends, and I'll probably do that with her for a month or two more till safety is second nature to her.

But where do I go from there?

Is 8 years old to young to be trying her first .22 rifle? (provided that she masters safe shooting practices with the Red Ryder) Is she better off going to a higher powered air rifle first?

If a .22 rifle is the next natural step, any suggestions for models to go look at?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They make a pink Cricket .22.

Daughter has one and loves it. I however have one big reservation. I don't like the pull cocking of the hammer. It's rather stiff and she has a hard time pulling it back. I'm usually standing right next to her but having to reach over and cock it for her.

I'm not sure I'd go with it again though. I'd maybe spend a bit more if I had to do it over again and look at the Savage.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Daughter has one and loves it. I however have one big reservation. I don't like the pull cocking of the hammer. It's rather stiff and she has a hard time pulling it back. I'm usually standing right next to her but having to reach over and cock it for her.

I'm not sure I'd go with it again though. I'd maybe spend a bit more if I had to do it over again and look at the Savage.

Thanks for that. I checked out this video review and he seemed to mention some of the same point you did. A more traditional bolt setup seems like a good way to go. The video review also mentioned the advantages of the trigger setup as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can find one, you could do a lot worse than a Stevens Favorite (I had a Model 1915, but Numrich lists several model numbers). The falling block action is easy to work (levers work; who knew?), and the ones I've seen are all quite small. I thought maybe Numrich would have buttstocks, so you could easily cut one down and still have a "full size" stock for later, but no such luck.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If she is a righty get the Cricket at Academy for $99. That is the best price I found. If she is lefty the Savage Rascal comes lefty too. The TC Hotshot will work either side. I just bought a Hotshot for my grandson to learn on. They cost more than the Cricket but I found one marked down at Academy. It was the boy scout edition and I got it for $168. They went down to $158 after that. The Savage may be the best bolt action kid gun but it may cost more than that Cricket at Academy.

The Hotshot comes in pink too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom