Tinnitus poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you suffer from Tinnitus?

• Yes I have it 24/7.

Votes: 149 67.7%
  • My ears ring occasionally.

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • Nope. Silence is golden.

Votes: 28 12.7%

• Total voters

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a minor case. I can only hear it when I go for my yearly hearing exam. I get in that sound proof box and it's crazy noticeable. It's not from shooting though, I don't think. I think it's from aircraft noise. I expect high frequency hearing loss in the next ten to fifteen years. Double hearing protection can only do so much.

spazzwarr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have it bad in one ear, slightly in the other. Mine kicked in after a plane ride back from the Middle East. I do take an over the counter medication/health supplement for it.
The supplement does not cure it but definitely turns down the volume on the bad ear. I order the stuff in bulk on line. Name is Masons Ear Health or something like that.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HuH? Dirt bike expansion chambers, loud mufflers, mechanic on a Nitro Funny car and starting between the semi trailers before ear protection, blast off at the starting line, hammer drills, Hilti shots, Shotguns-pistols, jack hammers, saws, flying aircraft for hours before headsets were common, and naturally lots of old rock and roll in the bars to take away the pains of life of the day. Just like me, worn out but still going. I just wish they would stop complaining and just shut up. Wifey mentioned how loud the locusts were one night, I explained they were just barely above my threshold level of my background noise. Huge awakening for her. However, I tune in a distant station on my ham radio unit with a lot of static and fuzz up loud and make out full conversations she can not get close to being able to decipher. Live with what you got and enjoy it now, there might not be any more later.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been a hard rock and metal musician since I was 16, a pro since I was 20, so my ears ring constantly and my right ear got it the worst since my amps have usually been on that side of me. I started wearing ear plugs all the time about 10 years ago but by then it was too late. I really only notice it the most when Im trying to fall asleep or in the studio with headphones on in isolation or when using in-ear monitors on stage. And I for sure wear ear plugs when shooting.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also have another hearing ailment to go along with it, and I have forgotten the name of it now. It has to deal with sounds bouncing off of walls, windshields, etc. If a person is directed at me, I can understand them well, if they are faced a different direction, the echo is hard to decipher. Wifey thought I asked her to face me while she was speaking so I could partially lip read, finally got her to understand that she could be off to the side or behind me, did not matter, I could make out what she said, just don't turn to the outside window in the car to speak even loudly, it will be mukeldy to me. Along with that, I have a very acute sense of direction of sounds, within about 10 degrees any direction or elevation any direction if I can hear them above my noise level. Just start shooting far enough out, and I can pin point you for return fire.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a minor case. I can only hear it when I go for my yearly hearing exam. I get in that sound proof box and it's crazy noticeable. It's not from shooting though, I don't think. I think it's from aircraft noise. I expect high frequency hearing loss in the next ten to fifteen years. Double hearing protection can only do so much.

This is GC ... He was on the flight line. Plus he's been shooting since he could stand.

It bothers me a WHOLE lot more than it bothers him. I have to repeat everything I say 3 times ... First time I say it, no response; second time I get "huh" and then the third time he says "Gosh baby, you don't gotta yell at me!" :saywhat:

Well, apparently, I DO have to yell at him ... :smack:

I keep telling him he needs to go get his hearing checked ... He keeps telling me to mind my own business ... :rolleyes:

I've only had medication-induced tinnitis ... I swear if I thought I was gonna have to deal with that racket 24/7 I'd go nuts ... I feel for you guys!

Latest posts

Top Bottom