Weird Sleep Stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not going to go into all my issues with sleep but offer a bit useless information about sleep paralysis.

It used to be believed that sleep paralysis was cased by a demon sitting on your chest weighing your soul.
In 1972 I was in Marine Corps boot camp and for the first time in my life living in intimate quarters with black guys. Those guys would fascinate me talking about exactly that. But if I remember right they always talked about witches instead of demons (which might be parsing terms). They’d call it having a witch on your back or on your chest. I couldn't relate and was glad I couldn’t. It was all pretty foreign to me. So now I wonder, were they mostly recounting their elders talking. My recollection from some 52 years later is they talked liked they’d experienced it themselves but we were all a bunch of 18 yr olds half full of it, so who knows.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you deal with some form of fear and anxiety about anything in particular by chance?
LOL, well I was in the Catoosa tornado 31 yrs ago and got 3rd degree burns over a 3rd of my body. Then a quick 7 weeks in ICU and a year off work. Plus several more surgeries in the following couple years for additional skin grafts. Oh and a month before that my wife divorced me and moved 45 minutes away but gave me custody of my 3 sons all under 6 yrs old the youngest still in diapers. She did love them enough to travel all that way at least once a year though to visit them. Oh and I couldn't use my hands for a couple months. I was kinda stressed then...other than that nothing comes to mind. That's a couple of my "adventures" theres much more to tell but I don't wanna bum people out. Suffice it to say, even in this horror story God took what was mean't to destroy me and transformed it into many blessings.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 1972 I was in Marine Corps boot camp and for the first time in my life living in intimate quarters with black guys. Those guys would fascinate me talking about exactly that. But if I remember right they always talked about witches instead of demons (which might be parsing terms). They’d call it having a witch on your back or on your chest. I couldn't relate and was glad I couldn’t. It was all pretty foreign to me. So now I wonder, were they mostly recounting their elders talking. My recollection from some 52 years later is they talked liked they’d experienced it themselves but we were all a bunch of 18 yr olds half full of it, so who knows.
Half??? LOL, my buddy went through a very similar experience. He was a USMC recruit in the same era as you. He was raised in a tiny town in the panhandle that was so small the only pharmacist in town was also the soda jerk at his pharmacy and when a little bell rang he would walk through a door into the adjoining building and become the U.S. Postmaster! My buddy had never even seen a black person in the flesh until he went to boot camp. His mom sent him a care package after boot camp one of the things she sent was a can of Brazil nuts and one of the black recruits had never seen any and asked him what they were. He only knew them by one name and before he caught himself he answered the question the only way he knew how...it didn't go over well...

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn man, that is rough, had you not lost use of your legs and just sheet all the way to the bathroom I coulda chuckled a little but all that sounded horrible.
Yes it was rough and horrible but through it all, I wasn't embarrassed because as I said we are in this human body and sooner or latter we all have to bare it all. I've taken care of people at the Veterans Hospital and delt with a lot of things and I know the body can only take so much. Some veterans were embarrassed because of what happened but it didn't bother me at all because it could have been me. It's life. Don't be ashamed or embarrassed if you have some type of medical problem, seek help.
When you go to the Doctor, they take care of you and send you on your way, kind of like an auto repair shop. No condemnation, just fix you and send you on.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I was joking, actually she's only 5 feet tall but somehow manages to take up our entire king size bed.i wake up and she's stretched out SIDEWAYS with MY pillow between her knees and my 200 pound ass is clinging to that tiny bead on the edge of the mattress...I've told her they make special little pillows for you weirdos that can't sleep with their knees touching but she prefers mine...

I think you got rid of your worst demon in that first divorce, that was brutal.eah

Latest posts

Top Bottom