• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Trailer frame

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
If you put too much weight on the rear of a trailer (not enough tongue weight ) it will dog walk back and forth going down the road.

Take that into consideration.
@MacFromOK
That is pretty much where my axle on my home built single axle trailer is.
Pulls excellent even with vehicles on it. (that is what I built it for) I have been as far as Ohio with it hauling a 1957 Chevy Nomad to OKC.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Ive been reading through the welder thread that just got revived. I certainly need one for more projects than this, just don't have the space.
Lincoln 140..... get done with it and put it in your closet!! Wire feed , compact.......... just takes a little practice and do NOT start learning on an AK47 receiver :cool:

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have the frame and wheels from an old pop up camper trailer out back in the weeds, thinking it may be 5X6 or 5X7. You are welcome to it but would still probably need some cutting and welding if you plan on replacing the axel and wheels.

The Craigslist tip is probably a good bet, also check the Inola Auction that happens first Saturday of every month. No telling what may show up. I bought a. 5X7 for 250 last year at the auction. Ended up selling it and getting a larger one off CL.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Lincoln 140..... get done with it and put it in your closet!! Wire feed , compact.......... just takes a little practice and do NOT start learning on an AK47 receiver :cool:
my welding skills arent that great, i was looking at the lincoln 140, the Miller Multimatic 215, or the PrimeWeld CT-520D 50A Plasma Cutter / Stick Welder Combo. Ideally I would like to have a multiprocess machine with MIG and Stick capabilities.

Lets say I picked up a machine, or borrowed a buddies, and went to town. I know its hard to judge someones abilities via the internet, but realistically, is it a bonehead move to just set out and start making a trailer? I keep reading welding forums talking about "if youre not a pro, youre gonna kill someone" and all that.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I have the frame and wheels from an old pop up camper trailer out back in the weeds, thinking it may be 5X6 or 5X7. You are welcome to it but would still probably need some cutting and welding if you plan on replacing the axel and wheels.

The Craigslist tip is probably a good bet, also check the Inola Auction that happens first Saturday of every month. No telling what may show up. I bought a. 5X7 for 250 last year at the auction. Ended up selling it and getting a larger one off CL.
Where are you located?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Lets say I picked up a machine, or borrowed a buddies, and went to town. I know its hard to judge someones abilities via the internet, but realistically, is it a bonehead move to just set out and start making a trailer? I keep reading welding forums talking about "if youre not a pro, youre gonna kill someone" and all that.
Yeah... you need decent welding skills before you build something for road use, or anything where safety might be involved.

"Pretty" doesn't necessarily mean the weld achieves sufficient penetration. I've chiseled off welds that looked nice, but were just stuck on top of the metal.

I suggest you hang out with someone that knows how to weld. They can show you more in a couple of hours than you can learn online in a month. A major key point is learning to control the molten puddle.
:drunk2:

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Since I lack confidence in my welding skills (mainly because I suck at it), I'll sometimes fit up and tack things together that I think are mission critical. Then I invite a buddy over that does it for a living to weld it up. That let's him spend 95% of his time actually welding vs cutting, squaring fitting etc, which is lion's share of the work. May be an option if you know someone with the skills.

Latest posts

Top Bottom