• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Trailer frame

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
my welding skills arent that great, i was looking at the lincoln 140, the Miller Multimatic 215, or the PrimeWeld CT-520D 50A Plasma Cutter / Stick Welder Combo. Ideally I would like to have a multiprocess machine with MIG and Stick capabilities.

Lets say I picked up a machine, or borrowed a buddies, and went to town. I know its hard to judge someones abilities via the internet, but realistically, is it a bonehead move to just set out and start making a trailer? I keep reading welding forums talking about "if youre not a pro, youre gonna kill someone" and all that.

Get some scrap, watch some videos and go to town on the scrap, there are videos that will walk you through and show you good and bad welds. the setting shown on the inside of the panel on a wire feed are pretty accurate, it will give you a starting point. Gas shield makes it easier although flux core does work if it is not windy as it usually is in Okielandia. Having said that a stick welder ... to me .... is easier to learn all around . Just not quite as convenient as wire feed.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Get some scrap, watch some videos and go to town on the scrap, there are videos that will walk you through and show you good and bad welds. the setting shown on the inside of the panel on a wire feed are pretty accurate, it will give you a starting point. Gas shield makes it easier although flux core does work if it is not windy as it usually is in Okielandia. Having said that a stick welder ... to me .... is easier to learn all around . Just not quite as convenient as wire feed.
also get you a good 2lb sledge for testing your welds, a good whack will let you know if you just surface welding. Once you start seeing good weld you will be able to tell if it is right by looks.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Lets say I picked up a machine, or borrowed a buddies, and went to town. I know its hard to judge someones abilities via the internet, but realistically, is it a bonehead move to just set out and start making a trailer? I keep reading welding forums talking about "if youre not a pro, youre gonna kill someone" and all that.

I learned how to "weld" when I was 12 with a coat hanger and Oxygen and Acetylene.
Bicycle pedals kept breaking off stripping out and dad welded them on 2 ti8mes and 3rd time he said you seen how it was done go do it yourself.
They never broke off after I welded them on.

I was 19 when i decided I needed a trailer and a buddy had an AC DC Lincoln stick welder and 6011 rod.
I found a 10 bolt posi track rearend in a field that was next to a station wagon and had leaf springs on it.
In the same field there was some 8" I beam.

I decided I would try to stick weld and built the strongest 4x8 trailer around.
Never broke.

If you want to come over here for an hour I have scrap and 2 different welders a Mig and an AC Lincoln 225.
I have 2 helmets and can show you how to weld.
My wife got it on first try then said so basically you are melting 3 metals together with the 3rd one being the welding rod.

I said yep. and she laid the perfect bead and said that was easy and walked back inside the house.

I showed her 1 time how to filet catfish and she did a big mess of them that day and never again.
She did it perfectly.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Trying to teach my neighbor how to weld this afternoon.
Wind sucks when using a mig.
But I got him a ladder rack all built welded up on his trailer.
Cost him 2 pizzas and some wings from Pizza Hut.
He still can't weld.
Well he can and it will not come apart just not the prettiest welds.

Maybe his next project if he gets one will allow for more practice and hopefully less wind.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
my welding skills arent that great, i was looking at the lincoln 140, the Miller Multimatic 215, or the PrimeWeld CT-520D 50A Plasma Cutter / Stick Welder Combo.

The Lincoln 140 is a decent starter machine but being 110V only you might find it lacks if your trying to get good penetration on thicker metal. The miller would be a great all around machine but the price tag might be a little high for most people.

You might take a good look at the HF stuff. After the AC225 was stolen from a jobsite (the employee knew better then to of left it there) I bought a harbor freight Titanium 225 to get the job done. The guys love the little thing. Ive offered to get another Lincoln and ive been told not to worry about it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have the Miller Thunder Bolt 225 AC/DC for a shop welder. Great machine with AC/DC capabilities. You can weld 5/8 steel easily knowing how to do root welds and supporting welds.
Working on a build of a propane forge as we speak. I'll post pics in the what did you build thread when done.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I am going to be selling my Craftsman 230 AC. 220 volt AC Stick, taught myself on this welder and have used it for over 20 years building and repairing just about anything that needed welded. Few years ago I bought a Lincoln wire welder and now the Craftsman just collects dust. Would be a good way for someone to get into a welder able to do most anything for cheap $100.00. looks like this...
9447ce18-31d5-488c-98c8-a807007c0775.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom