Traveling with CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I am traveling through states that recognize Oklahoma's concealed carry permit, is it okay to travel with it loaded and within reach in the vehicle? I very confused about this. Federal regulation says weapon and ammo must be separated, but state law trumps this, correct?

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I am traveling through states that recognize Oklahoma's concealed carry permit, is it okay to travel with it loaded and within reach in the vehicle? I very confused about this. Federal regulation says weapon and ammo must be separated, but state law trumps this, correct?

If you're traveling through states that recognize OK's CCP then you just carry it as you would in OK. Make sure to read the state's laws that you're traveling through about CC though.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You MUST carry according to the laws of the state where you are standing; they don't care how you do it in Oklahoma.

A man was arrested in FL this week for open carrying like he did back home in AZ. FL does not have open carry.

Strongly suggest you follow the links on http://www.handgunlaw.us/ to the official sites of the states you will be visiting, make a copy of THEIR laws, and carry the copy with you.
What you don't know about the laws of the state you are visiting can get you arrested and convicted.

For example, New Mexico allows only ONE concealed gun. GA law says it MUST be in a holster. And the off limts rules vary widely from state to state. If you go to TX, you better know what a 30.06 sign means.

Don't be arrested for TWS (traveling while stupid).

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You MUST carry according to the laws of the state where you are standing; they don't care how you do it in Oklahoma.

A man was arrested in FL this week for open carrying like he did back home in AZ. FL does not have open carry.

Strongly suggest you follow the links on http://www.handgunlaw.us/ to the official sites of the states you will be visiting, make a copy of THEIR laws, and carry the copy with you.
What you don't know about the laws of the state you are visiting can get you arrested and convicted.

For example, New Mexico allows only ONE concealed gun. GA law says it MUST be in a holster. And the off limts rules vary widely from state to state. If you go to TX, you better know what a 30.06 sign means.

Don't be arrested for TWS (traveling while stupid).

Yes... YES... YES

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a great thread and I learned a lot from the linked site for carry/conceal provisions of the various states. Thanks for posting this information.

Latest posts

Top Bottom