Trimming for 38 Special

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does it matter? Is your answer safer or more dangerous if I'm one or the other?
Yes it matters. And both ass in safer for you to crimp that published load of 170 gr at 1370 fps and more dangerous if you go by bad reloading practices. Thanks for the answer by the way

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes it matters. And both ass in safer for you to crimp that published load of 170 gr at 1370 fps and more dangerous if you go by bad reloading practices. Thanks for the answer by the way
Still didn't answer my question, what did he say that was unsafe? Feel free to quote and highlight/underline if you want.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Suggesting to an inexperienced reloader to not crimp 357 mag reloads.
I don't know anyone who doesn't crimp jacketed .357 with either roll or taper, but I know folks in both camps on crimping or not crimping cast .357 and .44, actually more of the latter. So nothing I read here raised an eyebrow.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never noticing on paper means you cant shoot well. Accuracy suffers from crimping means you dont know how to crimp.

Rude.
And does not mean I do not know how to crimp it means crimping did not add anything for me
I have tried different amounts of crimp and different types of crimps.

You do notice I mention if the bullet sets back to add some crimp.
I did not mention Interference fit though you need that also.
Does make huge differences in how well the bullet is held in place.

I bet you do not measure all your cases for I.D. AND SORT that is why you crimp and like to bust my chaps about not crimping.
Because you are the inexperienced or maybe lazy one that uses some sort of fancy automatic press instead of a cast single stage.
No need to measure everything to the .0005"

I measure to that.

Getting 1370 fps from a 170 cast bullet without a crimp means you only have a cheaper german revolver and dont have a S&W Model 19 or a cronograph.. After reading your reloading comments for several years now means you really should go back to your hole before they get someone hurt.

Never in any reloading tests or experiments or daily reloading have I ever hurt or damaged a firearm.
NEVER. Or a person or myself PERIOD!
You would probably love to bad mouth Elmer Keith for his testing.
Or the person who decided to use Red Dot powder in a rifle case.

It is these people we owe a lot to for their testing and sharing of their results.

I give many of "my" results and fact is people will experiment for their own benefit and if you have never experimented with and without trim or crimp or different lube or different "bullet tension"
you are probably missing out on some accuracy.

If you just want something to go bang and hit a mellon at 20 feet it does not take much to get there.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know anyone who doesn't crimp jacketed .357 with either roll or taper, but I know folks in both camps on crimping or not crimping cast .357 and .44, actually more of the latter. So nothing I read here raised an eyebrow.
The cast loads your referring to in .357 and .44 from those camps that dont crimp, are they bear loads or light loads they feel they dont need to crimp. Probaly the latter.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rude.
And does not mean I do not know how to crimp it means crimping did not add anything for me
I have tried different amounts of crimp and different types of crimps.

You do notice I mention if the bullet sets back to add some crimp.
I did not mention Interference fit though you need that also.
Does make huge differences in how well the bullet is held in place.

I bet you do not measure all your cases for I.D. AND SORT that is why you crimp and like to bust my chaps about not crimping.
Because you are the inexperienced or maybe lazy one that uses some sort of fancy automatic press instead of a cast single stage.
No need to measure everything to the .0005"

I measure to that.

Never in any reloading tests or experiments or daily reloading have I ever hurt or damaged a firearm.
NEVER. Or a person or myself PERIOD!
You would probably love to bad mouth Elmer Keith for his testing.
Or the person who decided to use Red Dot powder in a rifle case.

It is these people we owe a lot to for their testing and sharing of their results.

I give many of "my" results and fact is people will experiment for their own benefit and if you have never experimented with and without trim or crimp or different lube or different "bullet tension"
you are probably missing out on some accuracy.

If you just want something to go bang and hit a mellon at 20 feet it does not take much to get there.
When you bell those 357 magnum brass cases and load the 170 gr cast gas-checked bullet at 1370 fps do crimp the brass back any. If not your dangerous
If your crimping 357 mag 170 gr @1370 fps for bullet setback then your crimping for the wrong reason.
Resizing correctly and crimping IS the interference fit for 357 magnum.
I busted your chaps about always introducing dangerous techniques to a new reloader. Not the first time either.
Every handgun or rifle round I have ever loaded has been on 1 of 2 rock chuckers since 1983.
Never damage or hurt anything in all the firearm altering and reload testing you've posted over the years is called Elmer or Lucky. Ill go with the latter.
Elmer testing and your testing is very different. His was never directed to novice and entry level reloader. Yours is quite often.
Someone else starting out in reloading to go by the book should be your comment. You usually throw in some crazy test that has tons of flaws. Shooting off a small car in heavy wind and convincing yourself that you found an accuarte load has no merit. Sorry Elmer

Latest posts

Top Bottom