Trump pardoned former sheriff Joe Arpaio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To depend on a pension that is controlled by others is poor planning. Its sad that this happened to him but there's always that risk. I'll get a pension from the state when I retire but I damn sure aint counting on it.

He has other resources, but the pension of a 30 year tenured professor is nothing to sneeze at nor walk away from.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He has other resources, but the pension of a 30 year tenured professor is nothing to sneeze at nor walk away from.

When I worked for the state I saw so many people "retire" only to come back AFTER they figured out they couldn't live on the state's retirement. Like they hadn't even known for sure what they were gonna get before they left. I was dumbfounded.

I had only been with Tax a few years when the old man asked me if I wanted to quit. I had been there long enough to vest, so I just waited until I got my longevity for that year and was gone the next day.

Took the funds I had vested and invested them some place where I could make some money (and am ever so glad I did) ... and cut my losses with that place. Talk about a hellhole. I actually felt bad for people who found themselves stuck dealing with that place. I keep immaculate records because there has been a couple of times I've had to deal with them on tax stuff ... they are like the IRS ... out of control and no accountability. They sure didn't like the way things went the last time. Seems I have something of a reputation, even after all this time. I knew the Trooper working security and hear him laughing when I left. I can only image the conversation those girls at the counter had after I left COPIES of all my notes and documents with them. Funny, I never heard back from her. Never got another tax bill either. Huh. Funny how that works ... :hey3:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you said his pension was unfunded? So why is he stuck?

Probably hoping for a miracle. He needs the income to maintain his life style.
He could walk away and live on a shoestring but who wants that? He's 60, so if the pension doesn't get worked out, he will have SS in two and a half years.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's entirely your right to agree with the pardon, just as it's mine to disagree. But a lot of people are arguing that what Arpaio did was legal, which simply isn't so. I realize that it was a reaction to the previous administration's failure to enforce the law, but that failure doesn't create authority for somebody else to do it. I've demonstrated that, and the courts have explained it pretty well.

Arpaio violated an injunction, and was properly convicted for criminal contempt. Trump's pardon implicitly sanctioned that contempt. Whether that leads to more law enforcement ignoring the rule of law remains to be seen, but when the pendulum swings, and it's used against you--say, a gun grab--don't say you weren't warned.
Trump is the pendulum swinging the other way.
Also, I do not see a gun grab happening anytime soon, because people just would not turn them in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom