Tulsa Street Hustles (share ones you've heard here)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try to keep a Powerball ticket in my pocket. I tell them it's worth $25 and I was just headed inside QT to cash it in, but since they are in such a predicament they can have it.

Hook, line, sinker. Have a nice day.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wasn't this year but a few years ago in the Academy parking lot on 41st, she said that she had just left her abusive husband, didn't have any other family here and needed gas money. My wife told her she would call one of the local battered woman shelters, but she didn't want that just money. Funny how money is the only thing that fixes those peoples problems. Muskogee has there's at wally world, and at the mall too. They are all the same story, come up with something new, gees. Maybe they could be a street performer like they got in Vegas and do some kinds trick for a $1 or 2.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pull in to the QT at 51st and Mingo today and see a small SUV with out-of-state plates pulling up weirdly at an angle. When I park she is pulled up facing my passenger door. I get out and start to walk in when she honks at me. A middle-aged woman was driving this SUV and immediately started in on a story about how her husband is at the VA clinic, they are from out of state and in a world of hurt, they both have diabetes, both can barely walk, etc. Everything seemed very rehearsed and followed the pattern of the many other times I've been approached like this. Her husband was a Vietnam Vet, and immediately upon telling me about him she showed me some sort of photo ID with a man on it for about a split second. When she got to the part about barely walking, she pulled out a cane to show me. Closes with how they only have $0.15 in their account and asks for any money I could give. I was not given a chance to speak until her story was complete.

Now she may have been legit, and if she was, sorry lady and I wish you and your husband the best. It's just that I didn't fall off the proverbial turnip truck and her story, with its rehearsed structure and props (ID, cane) set off the scam alarm in my head. (I've found they usually have a prop, like a gas can or something. I've even been approached by people who said they were on empty and needed a bit of gas to get a few miles home...as they sat in their idling car they drove up next to me in. Not kidding.)

I told her I had no cash and wished her good luck. Did not see her when I came out. Honestly if she wouldn't have been trying so hard to sell me I probably would have given her some cash. I also seem to get approached by these kind of people fairly often; I assume because I look like an Opie Taylor with no street smarts. That belies the fact I often find myself in somewhat sketchy areas for work or otherwise and I've heard most of it before, in several cities - and it always follows a similar script.

You guys? Tulsa street hustles you have heard?

Was it a black lady in a maroon SUV? Maybe a Lincoln? Because I've run into her about four times. Her grandma must've been popular for having four across-the-state funerals over the span of several years.

I hate these people.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Myself: Back about 1987-88, I was a workers comp claims adjuster(yes, my first degree was business). One day I was caught up with my work and I had checked over my staff's work and all was going well. I saw that the mailroom guy wasn't at work and knew today he made a run to Tulsa, to the 4th National Bank to deposit some large checks. I asked the supervisor in the mailroom if I could go in his place...to get out of the office. I drove from Chandler to Tulsa and deposited the money.
Somewhere in Tulsa I pulled over to get gas. I had just received a new Lincoln as my company car and I was in a suit. I'm sure that I looked like an easy target!!!
Pumping gas, I spied a guy several hundred feet away from me, walking toward me. He was wearing a trench coat that was buttoned with one button in the middle of his chest.
We made eye contact as he approached me. With his left hand he held the jacket and with his right hand unbuttoned it and stuck his right hand inside his jacket. Bottom line....I thought in the next few seconds I was going to have a pistol pointed at my face..... WRONG!! This guy opened his jacket and had watches hanging on the inside...he asked if I wanted to buy a good watch. Whew!!! Empty bladder, fill pants!!!

My Wife: She must have Pitbull and Fighting Chicken blood in her veins. People approach us and I'm sure they think my 5'4" wife is a push over....yeah right!! When we are apporached at a gas station, Wal Mart, or anywhere else she approaches them as they walk toward her and yells..."F*ck NO, I DON"T HAVE ANY MONEY SO DON"T F*CKING ASK!!!" or "KEEP WALKIN' JACK AZZ!!" or "WHAT EVER YOUR SELLIN', I AIN'T BUYING!!!" *** I have warned her not to piss off someone who could have a razor or a gun. She keeps tellin' me....#1. She'll do it her way and die with her boots on. #2. She doesn't want anyone to mis-understand her on how she feels about hand outs.

Yes...we both have CC permits.

Cohiba

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Lawton, there used to be a guy we called "The Actor." Tall white guy, young, good-looking enough to really have been an actor, but that's not how he got his name. He would accost people outside our store, always with a story about Mom in the horse-pistol in OKC or Tulsa, needing money for gas to go see the old bat. Thing was, we would often see him walking through the parking lot rehearsing his act. He'd look up at the sky as he was beseeching some "good-hearted Christian" (and I'm qouting here) to "have mercy" on him; he'd hold his head in his hands (as he walked along, mind you) and pretend to sob; he'd wring his hands together with eyes downcast--it really was quite amusing to see him practicing his act right out in the parking lot.....

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was it a black lady in a maroon SUV? Maybe a Lincoln? Because I've run into her about four times. Her grandma must've been popular for having four across-the-state funerals over the span of several years.

I hate these people.

Nope. White lady, prolly ~50 years old in a goldish/brownish small SUV. I think it was an S-10 Blazer or GMC Jimmy. Texas plates.

Yeah, pretty sleazy thing to do, especially since this is Oklahoma and the whole country attitude abounds and I know they get a ton of little old ladies that are like "Well bless your baby heart here's my cash." In a big city they have to prey on tourists because hardened city folks either ignore them or tell them to fawk right off.

I could be wrong and she could have been the salt of the earth in a bind, but my senses told me otherwise and I'll let her find help elsewhere before I risk giving cash to someone who may be lying about sicknesses/military service to extort money.

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were in downtown Indy this last spring and a dude came up to us wanting money. He gave us the whole story then this last fall we were in downtown Indy again and this same dude come up wanting money and I ask him if I can finish his story for him because I could tell it better than he could. He just left with a disgusted look on his face.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen that same scam near 122 and I35 (Frontier City Creep-o-plex) more than I can count.

bout a year ago...north of Austin TX one of the local practicioners approaced me out of no where while I was pumping gas. Shows me a wad of cash and says he's 50 short...needs to get to Sawbones Medical Center cause his dying daddy was waiting for Last Rites.

He noted my farm truck-ranch vibe... and started on about making hay in Louisana when he was a kid. The whole time... I'm getting a truck between me and him.. and watching his hands.

His went into his pockets. "Your hands need to stay in your pockets, pal.... If mine comes out of mine, your getting Shot!" I saw him leaving from around the corner with his buddy a few minutes later.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom