Turkey Hunting Newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you guys using for food plots for turkey? Corn or more of a "bird seed"? Do you even put out "plots" for turkey? I am clueless.

Also, I am not entirely sure that the land I am looking to hunt has turkey, which is why I wanted to put out some food and see what happens. The area seems like it would be a good habitat for turkey, has some wooded space and clearings, as well as taller dead trees with bare limbs for them to roost in. The land has deer on it I know, I've seen them myself.

Also, I realize turkey can see better than most hunted game and you have to get them in pretty close but is not having camo covering every inch of you really as critical as those selling camo would lead you to believe?

Thanks for any insight you can offer in advance.

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think your terminology is off a little. A food plot is an area you would plant with vegetation to draw wildlife to it. Putting out corn, birdseed,acorns,etc. is baiting. I believe that shooting a turkey within 100 yards of bait is illegal. Fall isn't really the best time to turkey hunt because they won't usually come to a call. They will, but not like they will in the spring during mating season. You basically have to ambush them in the fall and/or bust up the flock and call them in using an assembly call.

My advice to a new turkey hunter would be to first verify that the land your hunting in fact has turkeys. They are pretty particular about the area they roost in. Next find an experienced turkey hunter that would be willing to take you out and show you a few thing, makes the learning curve less steep, and it's more fun hunting with a friend IMO. I would try to go in the spring time. It's very impressive to see the toms and jakes "work" for the hens. As far as camo, yes cover up every inch you can and make no sudden movements. Their eyesight is extremely good.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

chefsamuel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the above post. Turkeys are a lot more active during the spring, during the fall they could really care less about calls most of the time. My advise would be to use your corn and a game cam to see if they are even there this fall, practice your calling and be ready in the spring. You will enjoy it a whole lot more when you hoot and the whole bottom echos with toms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom