Unconstitutional but for the better good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My how times change. Back in my days of drinking & driving, the early 1980s, the officers were hired to use good judgement. They would make a judgement call on whether a person was too impaired to be safe or not. If they didn't pass the test, then into cuffs they went. Myself, I never went into cuffs. And I never had an accident or damaged anyone's property. Between 1981 and 1985 I was pulled over more than a dozen times in central Oklahoma by OHP, Shawnee PD, & Mustang PD. My driving & arrest records are clean except for two speeding tickets in 2006 and 2014...

Back when the world was reasonable, in Oklahoma anyway, cops didn't bother you unless you were a dirtbag or legitimately endangering the public. They let you live your life. Judgement was the coin of their realm. They had limited resources and were expected to manage them wisely. Sure, they would pull you over if they could articulate Probable Cause and check you out for real criminal activity. But they were not Nazis working for MADD & similar totalitarian groups to impose 'virtue' on every 20 year old.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember a buddy of mine getting pulled over in the late 80s-early 90s by Creek County. He had a loaded .357 under the seat - they asked him why, and he told them where he lived. (rural - center of meth activity) - cop said "I don't blame you", and sent him on his way.

A far cry from the "fishing expeditions" unwarranted stops have become.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1981 - I am driving a 6" lifted Jeep on monster murders in ship channel district oh Houston. HPD pulls me over. ????
I have a .44 Super Blackhawk on the seat in plain sight.
Officer asks why? I say I had just left warehouse 2 blocks back with $3k in merchandise, headed 3 blocks up to I-10 and GTFO of Houston.
He followed me to the on ramp, waved and drove on.

Too many Rambo, Dirty Harry wannabes out there that don't have the common sense to be Harry Callahan. The few good guys suffer from the acts and attitudes of the JBTs.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SOOOO....the greater good is best served with random checks for alcohol and drug use...its not a huge leap to imagine the greater good would be better served by checking for firearms - then of course, random stops to verify your destination and whether or not you are on an approved route....or, just exactly why are you driving tonight ??? this is, after all, for your own good and the safety of your fellow citizens.....the question is....WHERE WILL YOU DRAW THE LINE....?????

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SOOOO....the greater good is best served with random checks for alcohol and drug use...its not a huge leap to imagine the greater good would be better served by checking for firearms - then of course, random stops to verify your destination and whether or not you are on an approved route....or, just exactly why are you driving tonight ??? this is, after all, for your own good and the safety of your fellow citizens.....the question is....WHERE WILL YOU DRAW THE LINE....?????

Exactly!

maat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, check points are unconstitutional and unbecoming of a free people. I would far rather we punish harshly those who cause harm due to driving under the influence than submit to totalitarian government actions. Freedom has its consequences and rewards.

Today, it is traffic infringements, tomorrow could be door to door random searches in the name of safety(Watertown). You either defend freedom and accept its challenges or you slow slide into a police state.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, check points are unconstitutional and unbecoming of a free people. I would far rather we punish harshly those who cause harm due to driving under the influence than submit to totalitarian government actions. Freedom has its consequences and rewards.

Today, it is traffic infringements, tomorrow could be door to door random searches in the name of safety(Watertown). You either defend freedom and accept its challenges or you slow slide into a police state.

So what do we do about this?

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a new member here a few months ago I posted a thread entitled "when is enough enough?" My question was at what point do we say "f*ck this government, with its tyrannical swat raids, and 4th amendment checkpoints, and just revolt?" My question still remains.

Latest posts

Top Bottom