Use OK CW License to Purchase Firearm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this article on the Ohio BFA site at http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/flash-ohio-concealed-handgun-license-approved-background-check

In Summary, the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) has certified the Ohio Concealed Handgun License (CHL) as a valid NICS-compliant background check for firearm purchases. Show your license, put your cash down, walk away with your new firearm.

Has or does Oklahoma have anything in the works similar? The article notes that 25 states now have this ability but does not give a list. It does also state there were some federal compliance's that had to be made.

Anyone have info?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe Oklahoma used to be this way, but why it's not now, I can't say. Seems like it would lighten the workload of the folks at NICS some. I imagine it's tied to some Federal Regulation Oklahoma doesn't want to comply with, transgender bathrooms or some such nonsense perhaps?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe Oklahoma used to be this way, but why it's not now, I can't say. Seems like it would lighten the workload of the folks at NICS some. I imagine it's tied to some Federal Regulation Oklahoma doesn't want to comply with, transgender bathrooms or some such nonsense perhaps?
Your correct. It used to be and was pretty much unknown by most. I went into a pawn shop to look at guns awhile back, (several years) and The owner asked me if I had my CC license. If I did he could just sell me the gun. At the time I didn't have it, so had to do the paperwork.
Don't know what lobby group got that taken off the books.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't remember the bill # but OK2A had this in the works along with lowering the cost of the license. One of the drawbacks is ATF won't cooperate unless license is renewed within 5 years.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't remember the bill # but OK2A had this in the works along with lowering the cost of the license. One of the drawbacks is ATF won't cooperate unless license is renewed within 5 years.

ATF can suck rocks then 'cuz I like my 10-year term license. I thought it had something to do with keeping license-holders under constant records review/flags. When this was the rule for the OK SDA license back in the 90s, I got to take advantage of it once for a NICS-free purchase.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ironically, since the Utah BCI does all the NICS checks, I can use my Utah license to buy a (long) gun in Utah without the FBI Check. Oklahoma does not meet the current ATF rules for skipping the FBI check.
What changed for OK to be dropped? Basically the ATF changed the rules and OK did not change with them.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be cool if it was here. Bought a PX4 Storm compact this week at Academy and got delayed but the guy caught me on the way out saying I'd been approved. Woulda been able to skip that otherwise.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC Years ago when the SDA first became law or shortly there after a license holder could buy a firearm without a back ground check. Then as usual some politician got their panties in a wad, or the gooberenor or the feds screwed it up and done away that that portion of the SDA law.

My question is what part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" don't these PC (pussified control) freaks understand???????????

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ironically, since the Utah BCI does all the NICS checks, I can use my Utah license to buy a (long) gun in Utah without the FBI Check. Oklahoma does not meet the current ATF rules for skipping the FBI check.
What changed for OK to be dropped? Basically the ATF changed the rules and OK did not change with them.
The 10 year license I think

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I got my license when they became available (1995 IIRC), NICS was not required. When I renewed, a NICS had to be done on on future purchases. There were no ten years licenses at that time. I don't think that was what triggered the change.

Latest posts

Top Bottom