Use OK CW License to Purchase Firearm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the law here in Oklahoma is to have permit to have pistol what about rifle ?

I don't know what you mean by "have permit to have pistol." There is no permit required just to own a pistol in this state. You meet the federal requirements, do the paperwork and pass NICS and it's yours. (Assuming you're buying from a dealer.) If you already own a pistol (legally), there are no state requirements. Now, if you want to carry that pistol, that's a different matter. No "rifle" permit.

Mr.hodge podge

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got arrest for having a pistol that brought from Missouri of course it was loaded the cops told me that I didn't have a permit to have one had a 22 in was in Weatherford still had Missouri tags

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carrying a firearm without a permit is a misdemeanor (just ask my son :censored:). Was it in your car or were you carrying it on your person? Did you have a Missouri carry permit? If it was in your car I believe it's just a fine like a traffic citation not an actual criminal charge. If it was on your person it's unlawful carrying of a weapon (up to $250 fine and up to 30 days in jail).

Mr.hodge podge

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was in my truck we are not required to have any permit in Missouri they treat you vehicle like your house can open carry without permit unless you want carry concealed

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was in my truck we are not required to have any permit in Missouri they treat you vehicle like your house can open carry without permit unless you want carry concealed
Well, you unfortunately just got a lesson in "You have to follow the gun laws where you are located, NOT your home state, or where your car is licensed". On the other hand, you are FORTUNATE it was Oklahoma and not a state that would have charged you with a felony and put you in jail. LOADED handguns in vehicles require a license in Oklahoma.
You can find links to all state laws at www.handgunlaw.us
Ok laws are here: https://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_LAW_BOOK.pdf
Strongly suggest you read it, because what you suppose is wrong.

My usual caution in OK SDA classes: When you leave OK with a gun, remember the other states don't care how you did it back home.

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What Rod said. Look at Title 21 1290.26 in the Oklahoma law book Rod linked. I believe it's page 25. It covers reciprocity. Strange thing is when reading sub section B is that if Missouri had no permit concealed carry you would have probably been fine. However no permit open carry is a no-no. :confused:

Latest posts

Top Bottom