Use OK CW License to Purchase Firearm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.hodge podge

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read it thks I did cost me 6000.00 dollar including lawyer and 2.5 days in jail and they kept my gun just now getting over it it happen in August last Year which is think is stupid law cause criminal will have advantage of us

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's similar to what happened to my son. It was in August also. It cost him $5,000 including lawyer and 24 hours in jail. Ended up being a misdemeanor charge of unlawful carry of a weapon. He was only 20 and had been carrying around the house. He forgot to take it off before he went to a nighttime college class that meet once a week. The week before apparently the only other student in the class (a female) had seen his empty holster and the next day reported him as carrying a gun. The next week the campus police called him out of class and searched him, of course finding the weapon (he takes after his old man, his luck SUCKS). The officer filed it originally as a felony so the initial bond was $25,000. Had he spend a couple more days in jail allowing the DA to review the charges the bond would have only been $500 and he would have got that back eventually. Charges ended up being dismissed without prejudice, which means they could be reinstated if he commits another crime within a year. If he has no other violations at the end of the year his record is supposed to be wiped. He also got his gun back. He was suspended from college for at least a year though. He was supposed to graduate at the end of the fall semester with an associate degree in criminal justice of all things. We haven't checked to see if he can return next spring to finish. If he transferred to another college he would loose about 20 hours of credits, he only needs 10 to graduate. I've heard it said many times "better to be judged by 12 than carried by six" and that's true, just be aware of the cost of being judged by 12!!! Just over a week ago he received his Oklahoma handgun permit so the unlawful carry should not be a problem again.

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I got my license when they became available (1995 IIRC), NICS was not required. When I renewed, a NICS had to be done on on future purchases. There were no ten years licenses at that time. I don't think that was what triggered the change.
The lack of Fingerpints required every time you renew was at least one factor.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When OK first got the Concealed Carry permits, they could be used in lieu of the Brady Checks.

Then, guidelines came down that they were no longer valid for purchases and everyone needed the Brady Check.

Discussion at the time was that it was because some Law Enforcement Officers were granted concealed Carry permits on the basis of their Law Enforcement credentials. What changed was that Restraining Orders and Misdemeanor Domestic Violence precluded you from purchasing firearms. Apparently, several of the Law Enforcement officials had these problems in their past (At that time, Restraining Orders were almost standard in all divorce cases in Oklahoma).

Rather than rescind the few permits that had already been issued, and scrutinize the rest, it was decided to put out the guideline that the Oklahoma Concealed Carry Permit was not valid for firearms purchase without a Brady Check.

Government Logic.

Dave

gunmommaok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw this article on the Ohio BFA site at http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/flash-ohio-concealed-handgun-license-approved-background-check

In Summary, the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) has certified the Ohio Concealed Handgun License (CHL) as a valid NICS-compliant background check for firearm purchases. Show your license, put your cash down, walk away with your new firearm.

Has or does Oklahoma have anything in the works similar? The article notes that 25 states now have this ability but does not give a list. It does also state there were some federal compliance's that had to be made.

Anyone have info?

As an FFL dealer we cannot accept the Oklahoma SDA license for someone to purchase a firearm. We have to run a NICS check.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. I wondered what the reasoning was, seems like it is the 10 year license. The states can do what they want, but the feds try to squeeze them to do it their way, as usual. Mine usually go through, although I had had a hold up a couple times. I'll take the chance of a hold up to keep the 10 yr license.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When OK first got the Concealed Carry permits, they could be used in lieu of the Brady Checks.

Then, guidelines came down that they were no longer valid for purchases and everyone needed the Brady Check.

Discussion at the time was that it was because some Law Enforcement Officers were granted concealed Carry permits on the basis of their Law Enforcement credentials. What changed was that Restraining Orders and Misdemeanor Domestic Violence precluded you from purchasing firearms. Apparently, several of the Law Enforcement officials had these problems in their past (At that time, Restraining Orders were almost standard in all divorce cases in Oklahoma).

Rather than rescind the few permits that had already been issued, and scrutinize the rest, it was decided to put out the guideline that the Oklahoma Concealed Carry Permit was not valid for firearms purchase without a Brady Check.

Government Logic.

Dave

Sorry for late quote/reply but just wanted to say I appreciate this bit of info as it's new to me and I've held my license since nearly the start. I was able to purchase two firearms without NICS during that early time and it has forever irritated the crap out me that we let that get away when multiple other states can do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom