Usernames and Avatars: What is their meaning or Significance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A long time ago, I was the Left door Jumpmaster in a C130, and my primary JM (Right door) had missed the spot, forcing us to go around for another pass (Air Force plane drivers don't like that). The problem was that our Drop Zone crew had only handheld strobes to mark the DZ, and with a modified approach (Low altitude approach, then pop up to safer altitude to drop in the last 10-15 sec) all we could see was blackness until too late.

Me being the innovative, smartassed young Staff Sargent, I had my Safety give the 1 min command as I climbed outside on the wind deflector to get a better view. Although difficult to see with the wind blast on cheap boogie goggles and chinstrap strangling me, I was able to catch a glimpse of a strobe and signaled my Primary. As I got back in, the Loadmaster or Crewchief (They all look the same) attempted to berate me, shouting and spitting "UnSafe act" over and over. I gently nudged him away and got my jumpers out, following at the end of the stick.

Apparently, my Safety guy who was stuck in the AC, got a tongue whipping as well. When we linked back up later in the day, he was beside himself with laughter and had declared me "UnSafe"

It stuck.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife and kids are Cherokee, so I have pet names for them. TenBears ( from Josie Wales ) because when my oldest was little he ran around asking " if my words of life have iron " and my response as do my words of death. Avatar is Geronimo, I liked his style. As I tell my son now TenBears is a whole lot better than twodogs (if you know the old joke)

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EF is my first son's initials which is why I started buying more than hunting weapons which led me here. That's him from Spring '13 turkey hunt that was just me and him. He was 5 at the time.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guess I missed this the first time around. My screen name is because I'm usually clueless and the last to know.

My avatar - well, let's just say I take an exceedingly dim view of the act of using a cell phone while driving.

Latest posts

Top Bottom