Very confused about small gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to the gun show. Enjoyed it. Got to talk to Mark and thank him for being so nice and giving us quality info.

I also got my CCL today.. YAY! Only waited 44 days for it.

I am comfortable carrying my full size M&P9 in a Crossbreed Supertuck most of the time. However, there are going to be situations where I simply cannot carry it this way. Please don't ask me what situations or why.. trust me, it just is.

So... one of my goals at the show was to check out a pocket carry gun as thoroughly as possible and now I'm really confused. :-)

I want something that I will carry all the time either as a backup when I can carry my full size IWB or as the primary when it isn't possible to carry anything else.

I would PREFER something in 9mm because I really like that caliber and there is the convenience factor of both guns using the same ammo. I'm not completely married to this though.

The obvious choice for pocket carry is the popular LCP in a pocket holster. This will be no problem to carry and I can afford it. I'm concerned about the price and availability of ammo. I will want to practice with it. It is SO small, even in my small hands it seems like it would be tough to control. I know this isn't as crucial in close person-to-person situations, but I would like to be able to hit something 10-12 yards away shooting 1 handed.

The next one I checked out is the Kel-tec PF-9 and the P-11. I could use either of these in the pocket, no problem, but not having been able to shoot it, I have no idea what the trigger is like. A reputable dealer told me the trigger on the LCP is considerably better than that on the Kel-tec. Can someone elaborate on that?

I also checked out the Karh CW9 and the PM9. The PM is too expensive for me now, but is an impressive pistol. The CW9 is quite a bit bigger than the Kel-tec or the LCP, but I like the way it feels and have shot it with good results.

So, the questions are - .380 or 9mm? If .380, the choice is the LCP I think. If 9mm I have no idea.

Looking for ideas and advice here. Thanks!

B

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Went to the gun show. Enjoyed it. Got to talk to Mark and thank him for being so nice and giving us quality info.

I also got my CCL today.. YAY! Only waited 44 days for it.

I am comfortable carrying my full size M&P9 in a Crossbreed Supertuck most of the time. However, there are going to be situations where I simply cannot carry it this way. Please don't ask me what situations or why.. trust me, it just is.

So... one of my goals at the show was to check out a pocket carry gun as thoroughly as possible and now I'm really confused. :-)

I want something that I will carry all the time either as a backup when I can carry my full size IWB or as the primary when it isn't possible to carry anything else.

I would PREFER something in 9mm because I really like that caliber and there is the convenience factor of both guns using the same ammo. I'm not completely married to this though.

The obvious choice for pocket carry is the popular LCP in a pocket holster. This will be no problem to carry and I can afford it. I'm concerned about the price and availability of ammo. I will want to practice with it. It is SO small, even in my small hands it seems like it would be tough to control. I know this isn't as crucial in close person-to-person situations, but I would like to be able to hit something 10-12 yards away shooting 1 handed.

The next one I checked out is the Kel-tec PF-9 and the P-11. I could use either of these in the pocket, no problem, but not having been able to shoot it, I have no idea what the trigger is like. A reputable dealer told me the trigger on the LCP is considerably better than that on the Kel-tec. Can someone elaborate on that?

I also checked out the Karh CW9 and the PM9. The PM is too expensive for me now, but is an impressive pistol. The CW9 is quite a bit bigger than the Kel-tec or the LCP, but I like the way it feels and have shot it with good results.

So, the questions are - .380 or 9mm? If .380, the choice is the LCP I think. If 9mm I have no idea.

Looking for ideas and advice here. Thanks!

B

Don't leave the J-frame .38spl out of the picture.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the keltec p11 is brutal to shoot, but goes bang everytime and hits what I aim at especially in the distance you stated. pf9 is probably smaller, but is not going to be anymore friendly in the recoil dept. I have a kt p3at in .380 when i cannot carry something else. Feels ok for what it is (last ditch) so if you want small I would go lcp as they seemed to be built a bit nicer, the kt will be cheaper though and in my opinion, just as reliable. However if you could go with a little more size and $, check out the CW9 by kahr. Crazyfish has one that he had cut down to the pm size but has a longer sight radius and they can be had in the low $400's.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ssgrock,

I have shot the CW9 and it works better than those tiny 380s probably do, but it is quite a bit bigger and bulkier. I just wonder how that will work in pocket carry.

Question - how does the KT p3at compare to the p11 and pf9 in terms of shootability? It is smaller - is it as brutal to shoot? I know a lot of people pocket carry them.. then there's the ammo issue.

I'm not really interested in carrying a revolver.

Thanks for the help.

B

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The CW9 is probably too big for almost anyone to pocket carry. But it's the thinnest 9mm I know of and my personal favorite compact 9mm. Personally the .380 just doesn't have enough power. Just my opinion so I would have to 3rd or 4th the J-frame snubbie. I have one of those too and carry it alot stoked with +P GoldDots. Pocket carry is fine with an Uncle Mike's or Mica pocket holster. Some folks just drop them in a pocket without a holster.

xSMOKExLESSxCRACKx

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The fit/finish of the LCP is a step above the Kel-Tec p-3at although they're both great little pistols.The PF-9 feels great, it has large blocky checkering that doesn't feel so "prickly" like the p-3at does. As far as the triggers are concerned, none of them will ever be described as smooth, crisp, or light.

.380 ammo is not the easiest thing to find for sure. Although it's said that these little pocket pistols are made to carry a lot and shoot a little. If your ok with that, then a .380 is fine. But if you want something that you can have some fun shooting as well, go with a 9mm. Theres a few of them out now that would fit the bill.

Or, as has been mentioned a few times already, a good lightweight .38 like a S&W airweight or Ruger LCR is never a bad choice for a CC/back-up gun.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't leave the J-frame .38spl out of the picture.

I am an old guy, carried for years, etc. I am very biased, but heres what I think. I would not go to anything less than a 9MM or 38 SPCL. I can tell some stories of the ineffectiveness of the 380ACP and I have no doubts some on here will say yes they want the 380ACP. I have become very happy with a J frame 38 special that is always with me if I cannot carry anything larger. Just my thoughts, but then again I am an ol' guy.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daily carry is the PF9; yes, it does have a bite to it but nothing that bad.

It does feel nice and I do have large hands. Put a Hogue rubber slip or something similar on it and it reduces that bite considerably. Trigger is good for me

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The CW9 is probably too big for almost anyone to pocket carry....

Lotsa people pocket carry the PM9.

I tote a CW9 in a smart carry when I have to tuck a shirt. Sometimes IWB (when I'm wearing, say, a polo shirt).

Anytime else...it's a Sig compact carried OWB covered by a long shirt or short jacket.

I'm an advocate of Kahr's. I'd take my CW9 all day over the PF9 (I've owned a couple of them). I just find that the Keltec seriously lacks the fit and finish that I like to have. That said, the PF9 isn't a bad choice if you don't mind a gun that feels like a squirt gun. :P

I think Airweight J-frames (and similar guns) with +P .38 special rounds kick WAY more than a little auto nine (PF9, CW9, etc.). As much as I like 'em I can't hit crap with them past 7 yards...not so w/ my Kahr! Love it. I shoot it way better at distance, but YMMV, as always.

Latest posts

Top Bottom