Very confused about small gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ssgrock,

I have shot the CW9 and it works better than those tiny 380s probably do, but it is quite a bit bigger and bulkier. I just wonder how that will work in pocket carry.

Question - how does the KT p3at compare to the p11 and pf9 in terms of shootability? It is smaller - is it as brutal to shoot? I know a lot of people pocket carry them.. then there's the ammo issue.

I'm not really interested in carrying a revolver.

Thanks for the help.

B

I don't enjoy shooting mine at all. It isn't "brutal", just not fun. I'd rather shoot my S&W 642 with +P ammo.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So.... why not go with a much cheaper semi-auto?

B

A firearm is a life insurance policy(Yours). For me I carry a SW 3913, and an all steel 640 in .38spl. Each gun works period. Either will get me out of a fight, or help me to fight to something bigger. Both have been with me for over 20yrs.

xSMOKExLESSxCRACKx

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So.... why not go with a much cheaper semi-auto?

B

'Cause if it doesn't go bang the first time, you just squeeze the S.O.B. again!

Can't remember who first quoted that.

If the S&W's prices give you a bit of sticker shock then check out the Ruger LCR. They can be had for quite a bit less than a lot of the j-frames.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Keltec P3AT is an accurate gun, I can keep the rounds on an 8 1/2" x 11 piece of paper from 15 yards. I have large hands and can handle it well enough, and to me, the recoil isn't nearly has harsh as the J frames.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
My wife has a 642 she carries. I've tried to see if the pocket method would work for me with it, but it doesn't. I need something slimmer, but also don't want to got smaller than 9mm / .38 spl. So I certainly want to try out the Kel Tec PF9 for a backup or "can't carry anything else" gun.

I have shot the KelTec P3at, P11, Kahr PM9, various alloy J frames, but not the PF9 yet. None of them are pleasant to shoot compared to the larger guns, but 25-50 rounds wouldn't be beyond reason when at the range.

The key to being accurate with any gun, is practicing with it. This is even more important with smaller guns with less than ideal sight radius and triggers to begin with. Also, some of the smaller autos, the Kel Tecs in particular, have a break in period, so don't just buy one and stick it in your pocket and forget about it. You need to shoot it. Knowing you from what you've posted in the past blutch, I don't think you would do that, but I've found with firearms it's best not to assume that someone knows.

So, find one, shoot it, and enjoy.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks NK. You are right. I will want to shoot the thing regularly. Another reason why a 9mm is appealing because of such easy access to ammo. I'll be looking for a PF9 to put my hands on. Didn't see one at the gun show yesterday.

B

Latest posts

Top Bottom