Very confused about small gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLOCKinator

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another consideration, if you go with a gun that's too large, you ultimately may not carry it, defeating the whole purpose. I have both a Keltec P3AT and Ruger LCP, both .380 ACP, and while it won't blow someone's brains out, it'll stop them from attacking you which is the point of a CCW. They're so small and light, you don't even know they're there.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The solution we found for my wife was the M&Pc. Same ammo and it will run with the full size mags.

Pocket carry will depend on the size of the pockets and some times a larger gun will hide better, the most important part is a good pocket holster.
Im a big fan of Aholster(http://www.lefthandholster.com/) and Kytac pocket holsters they are IMHO the best out there.

Id also recommend you do some training with some of the local trainers like
www.oklahomashootingskills.com TDSA or USSA. This will give you a ton of information and a pool of professionals that you can ask your questions to, that have been carrying a long time and can give you good info as to why they do what they do. In the end it might save you a TON of cash.
Good luck.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glockinator- aren't the KT P3AT and the LCP basically the same pistol? Same size, same caliber. Why would you have both? Just curious.

Prdator - I love the M&PC because it feels a great deal like my full size M&P. It doesn't fit in a pocket well though.. just too big and bulky - double stack guns just don't work unless you are using a cargo pant. I rarely wear that kind of pant.. almost always wearing jeans. I have some jeans with very large from pockets, but it is still tough to get the full size or even compact size M&P out of it quickly. Yes, I've tried it.

I have been carrying my full size IWB non-stop since I got my license and it isn't bothering me at all except a little when I sit in the car. The problem is, I cannot carry it this way in a certain regular situation.

I'm thinking the P3AT/LCP option as a backup and/or primary might be the solution for me in spite of the ammo situation. I will also check out the PF9 if I can find one locally to handle.

B

rh6585

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just sold an LCP and ordered my LCR, which should be here this week. I just prefer the .38+p to the .380 and the reliability of the revolvers and not having to worry about a jam when your life is on the line. these smaller guns in my experience seem to jam more than medium/full size autos. I had a Kahr PM40 and it jammed a lot more than I felt comfortable with and I couldn't shoot hollow points in the kahr or the LCP with any kind of reliability. Just my opinion. light-weight .38 is the way to go. Taurus also makes some very affordable lightweight .38s with or without hammer or even hidden hammers.

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The most jam free semi hand gun I have ever shot was my .380 russian Makarov.It may not have the knock down of the larger ones,but I can
fire more shots fast & on target than any gun I have at 20 yards.

Russia used these for there KGB.I hope I never have to use it,but if I do
there will never be a bullet left after I start shooting.:twocents:

KYarb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glockinator- aren't the KT P3AT and the LCP basically the same pistol? Same size, same caliber. Why would you have both? Just curious.

Prdator - I love the M&PC because it feels a great deal like my full size M&P. It doesn't fit in a pocket well though.. just too big and bulky - double stack guns just don't work unless you are using a cargo pant. I rarely wear that kind of pant.. almost always wearing jeans. I have some jeans with very large from pockets, but it is still tough to get the full size or even compact size M&P out of it quickly. Yes, I've tried it.

I have been carrying my full size IWB non-stop since I got my license and it isn't bothering me at all except a little when I sit in the car. The problem is, I cannot carry it this way in a certain regular situation.

I'm thinking the P3AT/LCP option as a backup and/or primary might be the solution for me in spite of the ammo situation. I will also check out the PF9 if I can find one locally to handle.

B

You say the S&W M&Pc is too big and bulky, but is that because of length or width? The M&Pc is 6.7in overall with a 3.5in barrel, 1.2in wide and weighs in at 21.7oz with a double-stack 12 rounds.

So, how about the Taurus PT709 "Slim"? It's 6in overall, 3in barrel, 7/8" in wide, and weighs 17 oz (TI model) or 19 oz (B or SS model)... Single stack 7+1 in 9mm. The Academy here in Tulsa has the PT709B for $349.

Just a thought. =D My girl was looking at this one for when she jogs, because it's so slim.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
KYarb,

Oooooh.. thanks for that suggestion. I read about that gun in a mag review a couple weeks ago and had forgotten about it. I will check it out. The issue is, will it ride in the front pocket? The Kahr CW9 seems similar, but is still too big for that pocket rig imo.

B

KYarb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
KYarb,

Oooooh.. thanks for that suggestion. I read about that gun in a mag review a couple weeks ago and had forgotten about it. I will check it out. The issue is, will it ride in the front pocket? The Kahr CW9 seems similar, but is still too big for that pocket rig imo.

B

It would definitely fit in any of my pockets, but then again... It all comes down to what pants you wear. =)

Latest posts

Top Bottom