Very confused about small gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi blutch,

I put another vote in the for the J-Frame. They may be a little pricier than most smaller guns, but they also tend to have good resale value as well. In the line of S&W revolvers, the airweight J-Frames are actually priced aggressively for sales.

I have a 442 I use for the exact role you mention. I only have one problem with it: It is so easy to carry that I tend to carry it even when I can belt up my G23.

I know many people like them, but I am not a fan of small automatics. They tend to lack durability and reliability. They wear through parts like recoil springs quickly, and many of them are simply not built to handle weekly shooting. I consider G26/G27/G33 and other similar sub-compact versions of full size guns the smallest I would trust. I also recommend 9mm or 38spl+p minimum.

Good luck,

Alan

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot most of those you mentioned.

I think you have to learn and accept the fact that small, concealed carry guns are not generally fun to shoot. The are not for target practice. they are not for accuracy. they are for close, close work.

the main point is that they are small enough that you can always carry them, regardless of clothing and circumstances.

i think 30 feet is too far for these little short barrel guns. if you want accuracy at 30 feet i think, i could be wrong, but i think you will be disappointed.

i carry a .38 spcl model 642. it hurts to shoot, it has a lot of recoil, it is not fun to shoot. but i can carry regardless of how i am dressed and i have it on me at all times when i leave the house. i have gone to baggy jeans with big front pockets.

one thing i learned about a s&w that i like very much is the 'staged trigger'. i.e. you can pull the trigger back about 3/4 distance and the tension on the trigger breaks, you can feel and hear it, it is very easy to hold the trigger in this stage, and then when you continue to pull the tigger it feels like it is in single action and you have a very, very short trigger pull to shoot the gun. with this capability, i can get pretty accurate for a 1 7/8 barrel.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both a Smith and Wesson 642 and the Ruger LCP. I find that the Ruger is much more comfortable to carry. I have had about 650 rounds down my little Ruger and not had a single problem with it. Though I have had probably 2000 rounds down the Smith and Wesson and it always go's boom. I tend to be more accurate with the Smith and Wesson than with the LCP. The J-Frame will give you more firepower than the .380 cartridge in the LCP. Stay away from the Kel Tec's in .380 they have numerous problems with feeding and extraction of rounds.

So even though the smith does not carry as well as the LCP in the pocket I would say that the advantage of the smith would outweigh the LCP slightly. I have not found any pants that I could not carry the smith in the side pocket. though the LCP does fit in all pockets better than the smith. you can even carry the LCP in your back pocket in a holster that looks like a wallet.

For a backup...be with you all the time gun you can't go wrong with the LCP or a Smith Air weight J frame with one you get portability with the other you get stopping power.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you looked at NAA, they have a 380 and a .32. I have the .32 and use the Powerball ammo, you will feel it when it fires. I have shot many pocket guns, 3 x 4 x .5 inches in size or less and I think you are very optimistic to shoot anything that small accurate to 12 yards, now 12 feet is more realistic, but practice does make perfect. I just don't like shooting it enough to practice more. As you said it is a backup weapon. I like the stainles part of NAA for added protection to the finish, as it is a pocket gun and so sweat, change, keys etc, all can negetively impact a good gun.
The powerball ammo goes at more than 100 fps and is hp so makes the perfect round for the "smallish" .32.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was considering the LCP for a "pocket pistol". I finally talked myself out of it, favoring a 9mm instead. I went with the Taurus PT709 Slim. This pistol easily fits into any pocket, but I went with an IWB holster. Shoots very accurate when using a bench rest. Some of the reviews I read stated 2" groups at 25 yards. I need to practice more one hand snap shots (I seem to drift left of target), but that's the fun of it. The ammo is readily available at a reasonable price. My only complaint is that they haven't made a magazine with an extension yet for your pinky.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am an old guy, carried for years, etc. I am very biased, but heres what I think. I would not go to anything less than a 9MM or 38 SPCL. I can tell some stories of the ineffectiveness of the 380ACP and I have no doubts some on here will say yes they want the 380ACP. I have become very happy with a J frame 38 special that is always with me if I cannot carry anything larger. Just my thoughts, but then again I am an ol' guy.

Me too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom