Walmart .22's: Opinions please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NOTE: Went to Wally in Yukon, they got 'em in, but they do not have approval from ATF to sell yet. The "resident walmart gun expert" there said maybe in a week; then proceeded to give me a bit of his learn-ed opinions on firearms. I grabbed some patches and some Hoppes #9 and went on down the road...Might try H&H and see if they got a Model 60 or a Remy 597 with a synthetic stock; either black or camo...I kinda decided it's gonna be one of those two.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another one for the marlin 60 they run just as good as a 10-22 just do'nt have all the aftermarket stuff for them. I had a 597 really liked the rifle it ran good if i only loaded 4-5rds in the mag.
For small game hunting i really like a bolt gun and i'm also a lefty and do'nt like all that stuff in my face. Think the 10-22 manual says not to shoot them left handed.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was looking at several .22 rifles at my local Wally World...Savage 64f, Savage MKIIF, Remington 597, and Marlin 60...what do you rimfire rifle experts think of these for low cost fun guns?

marlin 60s are shooters, my steves/savage 64 is a shooter it's older than dirt and has an occasional light strike but I'll fix it eventually. My remington 597 is a shooter scope with bipod and heavy target barrel with the 10 rd or 30 rd it shoots like a dream.

CWO 45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Autoloaders are great plinkers and can also be used for hunting but my preference is for a good bolt action for that. I use a Browning T-bolt but it's in a whole different price range. There is quite a following of the Model 60 over on Marlinowners forum

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Henry 22 Lever - Just a super fun gun, Shoots shorts and LR. When shooting shorts, it's so quite you might get away with shooting in your back yard. Mine sounds like a heave .22 cal Pellet gun. When I go to the range, I can fill a 8" target from 50 yrds. $250 @ Wal-Mart

10/22 - What can't be said about this rifle. Simply amazing, tons of alterations you can do yourself to the rifle, kits to make it look like an M1, M4 Kinker Plinker, etc. 30 Rd mags with easy load ability, Full Auto trigger packs available ($10K) should you want one. Quick to reload with multiple magazines. $197 @ Wal-Mart

Marlin 60 - Just works. Nothing special, super reliable, classic rifle. Tube feed reloading can be a little difficult but it is a cheap super reliable rifle. $170 @ Wal-Mart

I'd say those are the top three options for Wal-Mart shoppers. If you want a bolt action, the I'd actually suggest something in .17 as it is fun accurate and a treat trainer for shooting F-class.

Just my .02

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
have never had a problem shooting a 10/22 lefty. any of the guns suggested will be fine. the key is to just buy one and go have fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom