Wanting a new rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever you get, you should come to an Appleseed. You will learn more about shooting a rifle in a weekend than you probably ever thought there was to know about it. You will learn some very solid fundamentals that will help you whichever way you go, whether it's military, competition shooting, or anything else. We shoot the Army Qualification Test at Appleseed -- it is a lot of fun to see how you stack up, and if you shoot an Expert level score, you get our Rifleman patch. For adults it's only $60 for the weekend, and we have discounts for those under 21 like yourself. If you want to be more of a "rifle guy," getting some good systematic marksmanship instruction will be a lot better for you than trying to teach yourself, I promise.

www.appleseedinfo.org

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever you get, you should come to an Appleseed. You will learn more about shooting a rifle in a weekend than you probably ever thought there was to know about it. You will learn some very solid fundamentals that will help you whichever way you go, whether it's military, competition shooting, or anything else. We shoot the Army Qualification Test at Appleseed -- it is a lot of fun to see how you stack up, and if you shoot an Expert level score, you get our Rifleman patch. For adults it's only $60 for the weekend, and we have discounts for those under 21 like yourself. If you want to be more of a "rifle guy," getting some good systematic marksmanship instruction will be a lot better for you than trying to teach yourself, I promise.

www.appleseedinfo.org

I just checked out the site and read up on some of it, sounds quite interesting.
The only problem though is when I'm going to get the rifle due to the fact that the schedule for Oklahoma is November 8th and 9th.
If I can get the rifle before then and have the money to go up there, then for sure I do my best to attend (Only if my dad feels up to it -_-).

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question about my rifle that I'll be getting.
From what I can tell it is a railed gas block (So therefore it's the only place I'm able to put a front sight since it have the standard military A2 handguard).
I got Magpul front and rear sights for it, the rear sights ain't a problem but the front sight may be and it says it won't work for a railed gas block.
I think though that it comes up high enough to be level with the receiver rail or I can bring the front sight post up high enough.
Here's a picture of the exact rifle so hopefully someone can tell me if it'll work or not. oracle.jpg

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're dead set on the Oracle, I noticed that there is a deal on them right now for $499 after a $50 cash back rebate: http://www.slickguns.com/product/dp...5-type-semi-auto-rifle-223-49999-after-50-mir

FYI, the Oracle does not have a receiver height rail on the gas block -- it has a "gas block height" rail. The Magpul won't work. You need a "gas block height" front sight. Run a search for that and you will find plenty.

As far as Appleseed goes, yes, next weekend is the last shoot in 2014... but we will be releasing our 2015 schedule soon with plenty more shoots across the state. Keep an eye on the website and the firearms training section here.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're dead set on the Oracle, I noticed that there is a deal on them right now for $499 after a $50 cash back rebate: http://www.slickguns.com/product/dp...5-type-semi-auto-rifle-223-49999-after-50-mir

FYI, the Oracle does not have a receiver height rail on the gas block -- it has a "gas block height" rail. The Magpul won't work. You need a "gas block height" front sight. Run a search for that and you will find plenty.

As far as Appleseed goes, yes, next weekend is the last shoot in 2014... but we will be releasing our 2015 schedule soon with plenty more shoots across the state. Keep an eye on the website and the firearms training section here.

Somewhere I saw a rail to place on top of the gas block rail to have regular sights work (Or maybe it was a dream....).

As far as Appleseed goes, I'll do my best to make it next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You shouldn't put that MBUS on the gas block, even with a spacer. It gets really hot, and can melt the plastic. You need a metal front sight if that's where you're going to put it. You might hang onto that MBUS front though, in case you ever upgrade to a free float handguard over a low profile gas block. Then you'll need a rail height gas block.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take the advice given and go with one of the many standardized, reliable options and ditch the Freedom Group DMPS. Get you money back and save up and see what deals you can get on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. That close to the gas port plastic is not a good idea, adding a rail spacer to make it the right height is not a good idea, paying $90-$120 for a sight that has fitment to a limited number of rifles is not a good idea.... see a pattern here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom