Warning Shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

918Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't there, I'm not sure if the light was flashed into, at, or near the car. I'm just putting this out there for discussion. Something to think about. I know the guy was very fearful and shooken up. His family was terrified. A pop up camper wasn't exactly solid cover.
My personal motto is like others have said, carrying a weapon is greater cause for avoiding confrontations. I think many people have a picture of someone kicking in their door, having a gun pulled on them, or coming across an active shooter. Never giving thought to two drunken shirtless GOB's looking for trouble. I think many of us have an idea in our minds how we would react to certain situations, but until the situation is staring you in the face or you have trained force on force would you know how to or how YOU would react.
Omitting the rhetoric maybe someone can take something from this.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the valuable take-away here is that we should act to avoid initiating contact with an apparent threat. An "apparent threat" could be a speeder in the campground or neighborhood, a tailgater, a tweaker in the park, etc. In the case of the camper, they had cell coverage and could have just reported the speeder to the sheriff.

I live on a residential through-street, and the speeders drive me crazy. But I realize that initiating contact with them, whether by flashlight, gesturing, or shouting, is likely to create conflict. And since they've already demonstrated a criminal inclination and wreckless disregard for my family's safety, is it safer to assume that conflict will self-diffuse or escalate?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't there, I'm not sure if the light was flashed into, at, or near the car. I'm just putting this out there for discussion. Something to think about. I know the guy was very fearful and shooken up. His family was terrified. A pop up camper wasn't exactly solid cover.
My personal motto is like others have said, carrying a weapon is greater cause for avoiding confrontations. I think many people have a picture of someone kicking in their door, having a gun pulled on them, or coming across an active shooter. Never giving thought to two drunken shirtless GOB's looking for trouble. I think many of us have an idea in our minds how we would react to certain situations, but until the situation is staring you in the face or you have trained force on force would you know how to or how YOU would react.
Omitting the rhetoric maybe someone can take something from this.

Did you edit your first post to say this a fiction story, after I questioned the story. Now you post this like it did happen.

So which is it? Oh and welcome to OSA!

918Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something *like* this happened. I wasn't witness to it so I thought best to discuss it as fiction. If the validity of the story is called into question because it did not come from the source then I'm OK to call it fiction.

Did you edit your first post to say this a fiction story, after I questioned the story. Now you post this like it did happen.

So which is it? Oh and welcome to OSA!

918Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with this. When I heard the story my response was a CCH should avoid confrontation.
In hindsight the flashlight was most likely the root of the GOB's seeking out the camper, however trivial. Irregardless of what got you there, at this point you have a situation. You can't undo what has already happened you must deal with what's in front of you. This is the gray area. Do you retreat in a pop up, stand your ground, reason with them, run, call the police and feign dead or a heart attack? The wife and child were in the camper. I guess that's the gist of the topic. You are in a situation what would you do.

I think the valuable take-away here is that we should act to avoid initiating contact with an apparent threat. An "apparent threat" could be a speeder in the campground or neighborhood, a tailgater, a tweaker in the park, etc. In the case of the camper, they had cell coverage and could have just reported the speeder to the sheriff.

I live on a residential through-street, and the speeders drive me crazy. But I realize that initiating contact with them, whether by flashlight, gesturing, or shouting, is likely to create conflict. And since they've already demonstrated a criminal inclination and wreckless disregard for my family's safety, is it safer to assume that conflict will self-diffuse or escalate?

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Stand your ground" is not an actual law in OK. But, the term refers to being able to stay in your dwelling, occupied vehicle, business, or residence and not fleeing when confronted by people trying to gain access illegally or who are in your home illegally.

"Stand your ground" does not apply outside of your residence, business, occupied vehicle, or dwelling. In other words, just because you are standing on a piece of ground, does not give you any additional rights to engage. By law, you are legal to pull and use your gun if 1) you are in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm, and 2) in self defense, and 3) Reasonable, and 4) Necessary, and 5) Your actions would be deemed REASONABLE under the circumstances and conditions at the time by the DA and/or a jury. Nothing in the law justifies you pulling and using a gun to 'Stand your Ground' outside of your residence, business, dwelling or occupied vehicle.

As for the example, I would think the action that would keep you out of trouble is going inside the RV. Then, if they attempt to access (or break in) or do break in then the law says that you can assume, by their actions, that you and whoever else is in the RV are in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and can legally defend yourself with the weapon.

Shooting a warning shot - may or may not work out. One bad outcome is if they were armed and you pulling your gun, displaying, brandishing, pointing and shooting your gun MIGHT be all the reason they need to pull their guns and shoot you. In others words, they see the gun coming their way, they can't read your mind and tell you plan on firing a warning shot, all they see is a gun coming their way, result they pull and shoot to defend themselves.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So now it 'might have happened'? Lollll.

The people who post at marijuana forums when relating their stories they post that 'SWIM' (S-someone W-who I-isnt M-me) told them their story, and 'SWIY' when referring to others posting. Cracks me up.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WHAT???? I thought you guys had my back?????

I'm pretty sure for legal reasons if I was in the process of sorting out troubles involving myself and a firearm then it may be a good idea to distance myself from OSA, NRA, etc. At least until I got my troubles sorted out. Just my opinion. No offence to anyone here because it is a 'community' here and I would greatly appreciate any concern or even a prayer or two if I was involved in something, but I would just be concentrating on working it all out with my lawyers and family.

Latest posts

Top Bottom