Water Thread ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ... here is the first of a few "permanent" threads to come. Got a comment, question, knowledge you want to share about water, water storage, water filtration and purification, projects pertaining to water ... Well ... this is the place to put them ...

Have at it, ladies and gentlemen! :)

Regardless of how you plan to gather or store your water, everyone needs this information on filtering and purifying:

How to Filter Water

Solar Water Disinfection

SODIS

Last edited:

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll go first!

Does anyone know where I can pick up new 15 and 55 gallon HDPE blue water storage drums? I've looked but haven't had much luck.

The closer to OKC the better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

stuart646

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone made or used a homemade carbon water filter such as the many described on youtube? just wondering if they are something that could actually give a person a usable water source in a pinch.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's one someone asked me several years ago--what would it take to build a cistern for potable water?

You know, I've asked about that. All my grandparents, great grandparents etc had cisterns in Mississippi when I was a kid. What I was told is that they were dug with picks and shovels, and the dirt was hauled out with buckets. They went down about 40 feet. The circumferences varied greatly from one to the next. These things were next to the side of the houses and rain run off from the corrugated roofs filled them. It was cold, clear drinking water. You could see the old cisterns where houses had been torn down decades before, and they were still usable. But where trees had established themselves and compromised the integrity of the masonry, they were a death trap to animals that would fall into them. I've seen dead hogs floating in some. In one, out in the middle of a cotton field, there were big fish that my mom and her brother had released into it back in the 1930s. The last time I asked about the old cisterns was back when my grandparents were still alive before the internet. I'm going to surf the net and get some info in more detail on this. I have never seen one dug, and know of no one in modern times who has had one dug.

Edit/update: From what I just read, it looks like my kinfolks were digging a proper well into the water table and bricking it up, then augmenting it with rainwater. Always, they called them cisterns. But Wikipedia is strict about defining a cistern as being a container and not a well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom