Weird Sleep Stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel for you. I will refrain from my usual annoying posts dripping with sarcasm. I have experienced sleep paralysis many times, it's AWFUL and TERRIFYING! Thankfully mine has always been very brief and what works for me is to concentrate on trying to wiggle just one finger. Eventually I always achieve that after much effort, then as soon as I can wiggle one finger I focus on a hard shake or jerk of my entire body, like a big shot of adrenaline. Sometimes it takes a couple tries to achieve but I always get there. It's critical that when I jolt myself awake I get up and get a drink or take a whiz to completely awaken. If I just roll over I go right back to sleep and often right back into paralysis. All this doesn't sound like it would help you because yours is so bad. It might help others who suffer a milder version however.
As to the pain killers, I have 2 jacked up discs in my neck and 2 in my lumbar area. I was on heavy duty opioids for about 3 years. They are effing poisen brother! I know when the pain is so severe you cry, and when you can't sleep for days on end you start to almost lose your mind, but I'd hafta be damn near dying to ever take them again! Quitting them is a hideous torture. I thought quitting cigs was rough but by comparison it's a walk in the park. I laid awake screaming for days until I got over the hump. Without my poor wife's help I couldn't have made it. Anyone who has never taken opioids please, PLEASE never start on them unless it's life or death! At first they induce a euphoria that puts the pain out of your mind but QUICKLY the relief lessens and after several days you need them just to feel somewhat "normal" and then after a few weeks if you try to back off them it becomes a living hell. Your tolerance keeps building and you need more and MORE. Brett Farve was taking 45 a DAY! A human liver wasn't meant to work that hard. This warning probably won't help you because you sound like you really have it rough, but it might warn someone else. My wife and I will pray for you tonight. God Bless you.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a not so freindly incident happen recently myself. We decided to take a road trip and ate at a couple of town restaurants (not chain). We went on to claim our room at a state lodge and I developed diarrhea, the worst kind-continual every so often, uncontrollable. I was in bed sleeping and felt the urge and started to get up. The next thing I knew I was on the floor and couldn't get up-I had no control over my legs. The wife said I didn't understand her, slurred my words but I don't remember a lot. Then the diarrhea-the reason I got out of bed -started. I lay on the floor and exploded. Wife could't lift me to my feet. I figured I could walk once on them but she just could lift dead weight. I must have been on the floor awhile, I don't recollect the time element.
I told her I was helpless and she said she was going for help and I said ok. Fire Dept came with an ambulance and they helped me to the bathroom squirting all across the floor. It was a literal S-show. They ended up taking me to a hospital and lab tests were normal but I couldn't submit a urine specimen due to dehydration secondary to diarrhea for three days. They offered to admit me but we declined and they finally released me at 4 AM and we got back to the room, and I showered A LOT. I had crap up my back, legs you name it, crap was there. I should have had a trophy for the total amount of diarrhea exploeed over a three day period.
I went to my private Doctor and he said he didn't think it was a TIA but acute gastroenteritis and to stay on liquids.
I've never had this happen before-losing command of my legs. Now I notice that my leg muscles are weak but that is typical of older (80 yo) folks. It was scary, who would do the work around the house and repair things? Travel was unlikey if I couldn't recover and here I was 200 miles from home. All sorts of thoughts passed through my mind-all bad. Just thought I'd share, we're all human and have frailties and subject to odd things occasionally. I don't mind dying but I just don't want to be gone so long and certainly don't want to be gone lying in poop. That isn't graceful by any means.
I have learned that restaurants aren't as clean as they once were, good help is hard to get so they hire anybody and you can forget food hygiene-it usually isn't there. If you travel, bring your own food. I yearn for a good restaurant meal but on the road it's extremely hard to get.

Last edited:

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel for you. I will refrain from my usual annoying posts dripping with sarcasm. I have experienced sleep paralysis many times, it's AWFUL and TERRIFYING! Thankfully mine has always been very brief and what works for me is to concentrate on trying to wiggle just one finger. Eventually I always achieve that after much effort, then as soon as I can wiggle one finger I focus on a hard shake or jerk of my entire body, like a big shot of adrenaline. Sometimes it takes a couple tries to achieve but I always get there. It's critical that when I jolt myself awake I get up and get a drink or take a whiz to completely awaken. If I just roll over I go right back to sleep and often right back into paralysis. All this doesn't sound like it would help you because yours is so bad. It might help others who suffer a milder version however.
As to the pain killers, I have 2 jacked up discs in my neck and 2 in my lumbar area. I was on heavy duty opioids for about 3 years. They are effing poisen brother! I know when the pain is so severe you cry, and when you can't sleep for days on end you start to almost lose your mind, but I'd hafta be damn near dying to ever take them again! Quitting them is a hideous torture. I thought quitting cigs was rough but by comparison it's a walk in the park. I laid awake screaming for days until I got over the hump. Without my poor wife's help I couldn't have made it. Anyone who has never taken opioids please, PLEASE never start on them unless it's life or death! At first they induce a euphoria that puts the pain out of your mind but QUICKLY the relief lessens and after several days you need them just to feel somewhat "normal" and then after a few weeks if you try to back off them it becomes a living hell. Your tolerance keeps building and you need more and MORE. Brett Farve was taking 45 a DAY! A human liver wasn't meant to work that hard. This warning probably won't help you because you sound like you really have it rough, but it might warn someone else. My wife and I will pray for you tonight. God Bless you.
Damn, that was tough to read. God Bless you as well as you have had a tough road.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a not so freindly incident happen recently myself. We decided to take a road trip and ate at a couple of town restaurants (not chain). We went on to claim our room at a state lodge and I developed diarrhea, the worst kind-continual every so often, uncontrollable. I was in bed sleeping and felt the urge and started to get up. The next thing I knew I was on the floor and couldn't get up-I had no control over my legs. The wife said I didn't understand her, slurred my words but I don't remember a lot. Then the diarrhea-the reason I got out of bed -started. I lay on the floor and exploded. Wife could't lift me to my feet. I figured I could walk once on them but she just could lift dead weight. I must have been on the floor awhile, I don't recollect the time element.
I told her I was helpless and she said she was going for help and I said ok. Fire Dept came with an ambulance and they helped me to the bathroom squirting all across the floor. It was a literal S-show. They ended up taking me to a hospital and lab tests were normal but I couldn't submit a urine specimen due to dehydration secondary to diarrhea for three days. They offered to admit me but we declined and they finally released me at 4 AM and we got back to the room, and I showered A LOT. I had crap up my back, legs you name it, crap was there. I should have had a trophy for the total amount of diarrhea exploeed over a three day period.
I went to my private Doctor and he said he didn't think it was a TIA but acute gastroenteritis and to stay on liquids.
I've never had this happen before-losing command of my legs. Now I notice that my leg muscles are weak but that is typical of older (80 yo) folks. It was scary, who would do the work around the house and repair things? Travel was unlikey if I couldn't recover and here I was 200 miles from home. All sorts of thoughts passed through my mind-all bad. Just thought I'd share, we're all human and have frailties and subject to odd things occasionally. I don't mind dying but I just don't want to be gone so long and certainly don't want to be gone lying in poop. That isn't graceful by any means.
I have learned that restaurants aren't as clean as they once were, good help is hard to get so they hire anybody and you can forget food hygiene-it usually isn't there. If you travel, bring your own food. I yearn for a good restaurant meal but on the road it's extremely hard to get.
John - I bet your wife was terrified during this whole experience. Being away from home of course made it a lot worse.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Whenever I eat out on the road, I always put a receipt in my pocket --- even if I pay cash. If I become incapacitated, they'll at least have somewhere to start looking for answers.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn brother that's sounds like a nightmare. I have really bad insomnia often, which is ANOTHER nightmare story I won't go into but anyone who's had hardcore insomnia knows where I'm comin from. Anyway melatonin seemed to help a bit, so genius that I am I took the JUMBO size I can't recall how many mg but whatever the monster size is. Well I stood up and my legs just completely collapsed I could even feel em at all, it was over in a few seconds but it scared the hell out of me. They took me to the ER and scanned my brain but found NOTHING. Sorry I couldn't resist, they found nothing wrong. I'd never had any issues with melatonin so I was sure that wasn't it. Like a moron I tried another melatonin a few days later and I was walking down my hallway and BOOM my legs FOLDED up like I didn't even have any. I hit the door jam with my elbow then the floor, but was ok again in a few seconds. I won't even walk by melatonin in the pharmacy anymore. What terrified me the most is what would happen if I was driving fast behind a semi and needed to break???

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you deal with some form of fear and anxiety about anything in particular by chance?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not going to go into all my issues with sleep but offer a bit useless information about sleep paralysis.

It used to be believed that sleep paralysis was cased by a demon sitting on your chest weighing your soul.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn man, that is rough, had you not lost use of your legs and just sheet all the way to the bathroom I coulda chuckled a little but all that sounded horrible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom