Westbrook to Houston

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chris Paul is on the down side of his career, but he is still a good player and certainly can play a large role in the building of a new team. I hate to see Russ go, but that is art of the business side of the NBA.

I agree that a great many of the players are just one step out of the hood, and are not good role models for today's youth, but at the same time, many of them have been good for the OKC community, doing various service projects, etc.

I'll still go to the games as often as I can. (but I do think it would help to change coaches)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we've had good luck in OKC with our players, at the very least while they were here. In fact, not ONE of the players who has even LEFT OKC has been involved in a major scandal, in terms of drugs, alcohol, domestic violence, etc. Not to my knowledge, anyways. KD has been involved in some immature social media crap, but nothing really damning, not even close.

I don't know if it is Sam Presti's and the general OKC management's influence helping turn these young players into responsible citizens, or if it is their discernment in avoiding players with potential problems related to 'Thug Life'-style issues.

<edit> The only one I can think of is Thabo Sefalosha, who had a run-in with NYC police and ended up injured, but that was after 2 or 3 years in ATL, I think.

In general, I think the NBA has a better track record for keeping players out of major trouble than MLB or the NFL - or at least keeping things brushed under the rug?

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think we've had good luck in OKC with our players, at the very least while they were here. In fact, not ONE of the players who has even LEFT OKC has been involved in a major scandal, in terms of drugs, alcohol, domestic violence, etc. Not to my knowledge, anyways. KD has been involved in some immature social media crap, but nothing really damning, not even close.

I don't know if it is Sam Presti's and the general OKC management's influence helping turn these young players into responsible citizens, or if it is their discernment in avoiding players with potential problems related to 'Thug Life'-style issues.

<edit> The only one I can think of is Thabo Sefalosha, who had a run-in with NYC police and ended up injured, but that was after 2 or 3 years in ATL, I think.

In general, I think the NBA has a better track record for keeping players out of major trouble than MLB or the NFL - or at least keeping things brushed under the rug?

I think it has more to do with the environment of our market. Though we expect accountability, we also show kindness and passion. It shows them they don't have to be the thug to get love from the fans.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was surprised this took so long to show up on here . Even the PG trade didn't get brought up.

I think they are in a good spot moving forward . They have way too many draft pick to even use over the next several seasons which means trade bait. A few years of sucking will hopefully equate to some lottery picks to pair with Alexander and getting back to the top around the same time the LA teams age out or break apart.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they trade CP they're gonna have to give up a pick or two in the trade to get someone to take him.

Westbrook for Paul? It's like the twilight zone. I'm wondering just how bad the finances are getting to just throw this team in the trash which is what they've done. Anyone heard anything about Clay Bennett lately? They were contenders as they were, all they need is a coach. Adams has got to be screaming for a trade now and I project he'll get it in the next week or so.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that has more to do with the pool of players being more larger in both baseball and football. The NFL team rosters are about three times as big as NBA rosters and there are more teams, so even if they're getting in trouble at the same rate, you should be hearing about more NFL players getting in trouble.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unlike Durant, I don't see the big Hue and Cry over this. NBA franchises are a business and have to show a profit. Usually showing the profit is by selling services or tangible goods. Entertainment is different, They have to put butts in seats. To do that you have to win games. To do that you have to have the right mix of new and old players that can gel as a team. Trading players is just part of the business.

I'm gonna miss Westbrook but we have to move on. GO Thunder!

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they trade CP they're gonna have to give up a pick or two in the trade to get someone to take him.

Westbrook for Paul? It's like the twilight zone. I'm wondering just how bad the finances are getting to just throw this team in the trash which is what they've done. Anyone heard anything about Clay Bennett lately? They were contenders as they were, all they need is a coach. Adams has got to be screaming for a trade now and I project he'll get it in the next week or so.

They actually signed a few free agents at the start of free agency to get more into contention, but then Paul George DEMANDED the trade to LAC, which is what set all this in motion. They went from mid level in the west to fighting for the 8 seed, if that, once PG left. Plus all the additions they got back in picks, it makes perfect sense to start rebuilding now. CP3 will get flipped to Miami or Detroit....they may have to give up a pick or two to do that, but this will save them at least $50 million on their luxury tax bill, plus all those salaries.

I doubt Adams gets traded, his contract is pretty terrible for what he does. He's a great dude for the team, but they overpaid for his production.

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife started to quit watching the Thunder when Westbrook told a fan that he'd F... him up on TV. She doesn't care for that kind of talk so it kinda dilutes watching NBA at least in OKC. Now that Westbrook is gone maybe she'll change her mind but she can still read lips when they're on the court.
Aside from that, they're saving money by trading Westbrook, he was costly! And The current coach hasn't done any better than Scott Brooks who worked hard a the job.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt Adams gets traded, his contract is pretty terrible for what he does. He's a great dude for the team, but they overpaid for his production.
That's what I keep hearing on the interwebs. But it's a fact he was the #2 ranked center in all of the NBA for defense. And he was at about #10-15 for all other categories in the last season.

Mark my words, if they trade him off, he'll go onto be a premiere center in the NBA. He's close now and would actually be if they had a coach that knew what to do with him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom