What are you using for shop lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Suggestions? LED? Goods, bads, brands, reviews? 40x40 and 12' to the rafters. Not doing any surgical procedures in there, but don't want to be straining to see either.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is 10' to the rafters. I used the newer 8' fluorescent fixtures that uses 4-4' bulbs. There is a huge difference in bulbs. I lamped up the shop and found out I lacked one fixture. Went to the store and the guy said I needed to try this other style as it offered a brighter, whiter light.

I'm kicking my arse now for not doing the whole shop in those lights. Amazing how bright they are.

Text me tomorrow, and I'll get the bulb numbers and send you a pic of my lighting set up.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use comact cfls from lock supply. They 5000k, very bright, clean light. Use a regular socket base, and last for 5-10 years. Much brighter than regular tube florescent lights. 30x100 shop, 3 lights on every other rafter. More than enough light.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can weigh in on this, I just bought a direct swap t8 led for the garage and it blows the tube light out of the water. I'm in the processes of swapping them all out but at $20 a bulb so it's pricy.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LED all the way...The T5 6 bulb fixtures are nice, but they use 2 ballasts a piece plus the 6 bulbs...So just 10 fixtures use 60 bulbs and 20 ballasts. That's alot of things to go wrong/replace over the life of the fixture. Plus they use a lot of energy compared to LED...When I did LED's, they were about $100 more a fixture than the 6 bulb T5....

I considered the T5's before going LED but couldn't even run as many as I wanted per bay without switching to a contactor type switch setup due to how many amps the T5's draw...

I've got a 30x40 with 6 T5 6 bulb fixtures (36 bulbs total), and its not nearly as nice to work in as the LED shop...

led shop.jpg

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can weigh in on this, I just bought a direct swap t8 led for the garage and it blows the tube light out of the water. I'm in the processes of swapping them all out but at $20 a bulb so it's pricy.

I did this same thing for my garage, but wasn't aware at the time that those LED's put off the same RF that the garage door opener remote works on. If the lights are left on in the garage when we leave, the remote opener will usually not work due to the RF interference....

michaeld

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use an 8' strip with the (4) 4' lights but swapped the fluorescent bulbs out for Philips LED's that use the existing fluorescent ballasts.
$17-18 at Voss Lighting Tulsa

They are awesome!

I've been warned against using the direct wire LED's because the sockets are then not under warranty (or UL?) because you aren't using them for their original purposes. Also if someone plugs in a fluorescent later without the ballast it could cause problems

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did this same thing for my garage, but wasn't aware at the time that those LED's put off the same RF that the garage door opener remote works on. If the lights are left on in the garage when we leave, the remote opener will usually not work due to the RF interference....

Really ill have to look Into it, generally I don't leave them on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom