What controlled hunts did everyone put in for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Was just reading where only applicants with a 580 area code can check their hunts tomorrow, everyone else will have to wait till Thursday, saves the Wildlife Department's server from crashing........................:D JK of course, hopefully some of us here will draw this year!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you talking about the director of the Wichita Mts Elk Hunt?
I've sat through four of those pre-hunt briefings, and came down to help the day after on two more Wichita Mts hunts. Every time (and this was random 1988-2011), and I mean EVERY time, it was stressed that hunters MUST bring the meat and proof of sex out. Wanton waste was discussed, and no one should have left the briefing unclear about the expectations, should a hunter down an animal.
FWIW - they also warned at length about taking a second shot, thinking you missed the first. Lots of deer hunters don't realize how well an elk can take a hit, shoot again, and end up with two animals shot.

It was 2005. It was during the pre hunt briefing in the auditorium. The person putting out the rules and regulation opened up the presentation for questions.
The "world class hunters" asked the question and were the ones that came out with the cape and antlers.

The Helpers always hang out in the check in areas, and we had a big discussion about wasting the meat.

We finally approached the guy weighing in the elk and expressed our disgust.

He said its a depredation hunt, and they are only concerned with reducing the population to protect the enviorment. They just needed animals off the preserve.

There was no discussion in the pre-hunt briefing about "second shots".

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. That's pretty screwed up. I know the woman that was in charge in 2005 was gone in 2006, and they put a guy in charge that was there for years, may still be there. Steve something or other...
Cutting the head off a deer or elk and leaving the rest ought to be a hanging offence, in my book.

Latest posts

Top Bottom