What controlled hunts did everyone put in for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Side story 2: I used to take major pride in my dressing skills... But after my cousin fabbed up a simple hitch hanger, we don't even gut anymore. Just hang 'em, skin from the spine, and pull the hinds and backstraps out. What's left makes for great predator bait in the original blood puddle.

Take only the hind quarters and the backstraps..Hard to believe I just read this.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Side story 2: I used to take major pride in my dressing skills... But after my cousin fabbed up a simple hitch hanger, we don't even gut anymore. Just hang 'em, skin from the spine, and pull the hinds and backstraps out. What's left makes for great predator bait in the original blood puddle.

I do something similar with does, but on the tailgate. Two more inscisions and the you can have the tenderloins too without gutting, that's the best part!:) Take some from the front shoulders as well but not a lot. I can't man handle the bucks around like that, so they get the traditional works.
Edit: to clarify what "traditional works" means..........gut in the field, load, hang from tractor bucket, skin, all the meat then goes into the grinder.

Last edited:

Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried and tried to correctly cut out front shoulders, but until they get to be big enough, it's just a junk cut of tendon/ligament nastiness lol. We just don't grow deer that big in my neck of the woods.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be looking for help as well. ;)

Actually, as I've posted before, I was a helper on a buddy's elk hunt hunt, and ended up helping two other hunters that didn't have help get their animals out. Challenging but it offered a view to the hunt areas that I've never seen.

Some folks show up to help to get a little meat in return for the help.

What pissed me off was at the meeting when a guy asked if the meat needed to be brought out. The director of the hunt said no. The guy brought out the antlers and left the carcass.

They spent a lot of time telling everybody that wanted to listen about how they had been all over the world hunting , and how great they were.
I think they sucked.

Are you talking about the director of the Wichita Mts Elk Hunt?
I've sat through four of those pre-hunt briefings, and came down to help the day after on two more Wichita Mts hunts. Every time (and this was random 1988-2011), and I mean EVERY time, it was stressed that hunters MUST bring the meat and proof of sex out. Wanton waste was discussed, and no one should have left the briefing unclear about the expectations, should a hunter down an animal.
FWIW - they also warned at length about taking a second shot, thinking you missed the first. Lots of deer hunters don't realize how well an elk can take a hit, shoot again, and end up with two animals shot.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well honestly guys I can't believe I am reading about people on here not taking full opportunity to get all the meat off of a deer.
I last year told my uncle he was no longer to hunt on my land due to the fact he shot a buck and cut the head off with a hack saw and left the carcass laying. I can promise ya if all your for is horns and a back strap you should at least donate rest of meat to someone. Talk to your local church pastor I am sure he knows someone that attends services would love to have the front shoulders and such as they may not be fortunate enough to buy meat at the store all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom