What is life like in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you like to move to california, new york, michgan.......? If so then do it. Dont degrade our state because you either feel the need or just because you feel the need to justify it.

Blah blah blah

I just offered what I believed to be both sides. You asked a question and I responded. Now you tell me to move? Why don't you move? Or send me some of the Kool Aid you are drinking so I can become blissfully ignorant of all that is bad. Probably a great way to live, at least in the short term. ;)

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah...that's why we are number one on so many lists. :rolleyes2

The herd mentality can be exhausting at times.

Hence, the "herd mentality" I mentioned previously. I especially love the "if you don't love it, leave it" sentiment. As if a different opinion is somehow a personal insult one's honor.

You mean the lists created by those trying to be above others and trying so hard to shape the world in their way, or the ones that get paid to make lists? Oklahoma sure never made any lists of attorney top pay. Why would you look to them?

Isn't that kind of like ummmm trying to "herd" people or society to be a certain way? What I think you see as herding the rest of the world sees as normal. You just don't like the thought that being different whether you or others and not being as well fitted. I think Oklahoman public is very excepting. The sad part is that all too often there are the few that cry about the life and world they moved into and ruin it for the majority.

You having the profession that you do no doubt see plenty of this. If everyone would just do their thing and leave others to theirs this mentality would not surface. If you step into a place a piece where it doesn't fit, should the puzzle have to adjust?

Oklahoma works great, some just don't like it and refuse to look on, or maybe they have found that they are the problem, they don't fit in anywhere, and think this is the path of least resistance. It's not a personal insult, it's the attempt to change that in which works well, and is enjoyed everyday by the masses. Therefore, if you are the square peg, you can love being out of place, or leave and find a square hole. It's not that your not welcome, but your not welcome to destroy all to fit your one.

I don't know for sure about everyone, but saying that we are all cattle or the like and are herded as if unable to think for ourselves is just insulting to me...

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's wrong with him having this opinion? There's a lot of truth to it. If he were a gun lover in San Francisco, you'd be sympathetic to him.

The "love it or leave it" mentality only reinforces our image of intolerance.

Nothing wrong with him expressing his opinion. Is there something wrong with me expressing mine?

It's not "love it or leave it". Just seems he needed another option to free himself from the living hell he's experiencing.

NathanGraham

New to the site!
Reaction score
I am originally from Oregon and I have to say Oklahoma is BEAUTIFUL!!! If you are disappointed with our red dirt and look at all the rivers as "muddy and yucky" then you just need to get out a little more!! Beavers Bend is freaking amazing!! Then you have Turner Falls, and lets not forget Nature Falls, you know they filmed "Where The Red Fern Grows" there!! Oklahoma has a lot to offer if you just get out and look for it!
My favorite thing about Oklahoma is that everything is just a hop skip and a jump away. You want the city life, check out Tulsa or OKC... you want the country side, venture out to Eufaula!
I have left Oklahoma a lot in the 13 years I have lived here, I have gone to Texas (hold the opinion for all you texas haters lol), back to Oregon, to Alaska, to Panama South America and I always end up back here in Oklahoma because it is home. Besides the cheap living, the people here are just great! I love hunting, camping and fishing and Oklahoma is just the place to venture out on a new adventure every weekend! It never gets old! I love Oklahoma (and yes our women are beautiful :)).

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You call Tulsa or OKC city life?

Already addressed this issue, they want to be big cities with small a town feel, epic fail.
We are pedestrian/bicycle unfriendly, lack infrastructure and public transport and are hampered by multiple moral majority laws that make it difficult to develop a true entertainment district that would assist in drawing people in. We have big city style crime, per capita high murder rate on par with other cities, and gang problems that infect even the nice parts of town and school districts because of our urban sprawl.

http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=Tulsa&state=OK

I recognize certain values in raising my kid here instead of a large metropolitan inner city area, that's the only reason I am still here.

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You mean the lists created by those trying to be above others and trying so hard to shape the world in their way, or the ones that get paid to make lists? Oklahoma sure never made any lists of attorney top pay. Why would you look to them?

Isn't that kind of like ummmm trying to "herd" people or society to be a certain way? What I think you see as herding the rest of the world sees as normal. You just don't like the thought that being different whether you or others and not being as well fitted. I think Oklahoman public is very excepting. The sad part is that all too often there are the few that cry about the life and world they moved into and ruin it for the majority.

You having the profession that you do no doubt see plenty of this. If everyone would just do their thing and leave others to theirs this mentality would not surface. If you step into a place a piece where it doesn't fit, should the puzzle have to adjust?

Oklahoma works great, some just don't like it and refuse to look on, or maybe they have found that they are the problem, they don't fit in anywhere, and think this is the path of least resistance. It's not a personal insult, it's the attempt to change that in which works well, and is enjoyed everyday by the masses. Therefore, if you are the square peg, you can love being out of place, or leave and find a square hole. It's not that your not welcome, but your not welcome to destroy all to fit your one.

I don't know for sure about everyone, but saying that we are all cattle or the like and are herded as if unable to think for ourselves is just insulting to me...

Bloodsuckers..... er.... a..... lawyers are a cynical bunch. Except for a handful that truly try and help people, they're a bunch of moneygrubbers.

webmogul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up here, spent some years out of state in Missouri and Vegas and came back a couple years ago. But, I came back because the wife eventually talked me into it. :grumble:

it is a nice place to live for the most part and yes it has four seasons. The problem is two of them suck :) Coming from Florida, the summers will be about the same, heavy with humidity, and the winters are very cold and it tends to ice more than it snows. This past winter was one example that happens every couple years (2007 was another bad one) and the state becomes paralyzed because it doesn't know how to handle it.

Let's face it, this is mostly redneck country, so if you don't race, fish, hunt or into college football you'll be bored to tears for the most part. A weekend's drive doesn't offer too much help either. But, if you do like the outdoors, then there are plenty of lakes for fishing, sporting or just relaxing and arkansas/southern missouri has the Ozarks which is very nice to visit as well.

People for the most part of very generous and down to earth compared to some other parts of the country. Housing is very good here too. I think we are ranked like 6th in the nation for good housing. You will certainly get your money's worth if you buy a house here.

Schools are hit or miss, so whichever town you move to definitely look around at which schools are the best. There are good ones, and there are some, well, not so good ones.

I would have to say that you are lucky you aren't in a tech heavy career. This state has almost no industry for technology.

Latest posts

Top Bottom