What is the fascination with 22 right now??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why is everybody buying all the 22 lr right now? I understand its cheaper to shoot but is it for SHTF? If so if you don't own your own land do you really think somebody is gonna let you hunt on theirs to get food. Seems like a lot of people are having a pipe dream of sustainability with a 22. What say you guys.

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have to be one of the crazys buying up all of the .22 ammo. Ever hear the parable of the ant and the grasshopper? Let's just say that I wasn't the grasshopper!

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have to be one of the crazys buying up all of the .22 ammo. Ever hear the parable of the ant and the grasshopper? Let's just say that I wasn't the grasshopper!

Yes, I get the being prepared part. But what is a 22 going to do that my 556 or 308 can't? Why do people think they should have 100k of 22 on hand for shtf? Not like they are going to get in a fire fight with their pea shooter

And yes I am stocked up on all my ammo, mags, etc. just don't understand the 22 fascination.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have enough put away to last for quite some time. However, the amount of .22 I want to keep on hand has gone up substantially from where it was a few months ago.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I get the being prepared part. But what is a 22 going to do that my 556 or 308 can't? Why do people think they should have 100k of 22 on hand for shtf? Not like they are going to get in a fire fight with their pea shooter

And yes I am stocked up on all my ammo, mags, etc. just don't understand the 22 fascination.

I can say that one good thing about 22lr for prep is that you can get about 8,000 rounds in a ammo can.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22 is great for introducing new people to shooting. No recoil and tons of fun for much less than larger calibers. I'm in the process of training several family members who are new to shooting, and .22 is invaluable for this.

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, let me say this differently. Prepping in the sense that you are thinking has nothing to do with why I stocked up. I love shooting clays and plinking with .22s. They are my personal favorites when it comes to shooting just for the sake of shooting. I have never heard of a shortage of shotgun target loads, but I have heard of .22 shortages. We had one last time Obama got elected. I saw the writing on the wall so I stocked up for my personal shooting. Right now, there are primarily two types of people - 1)oh crap, I didn't buy any .22, if I see a box then I better buy it OR 2)Hey, .22 ammo, I can gouge some desperate sucker right now. That is the fascination.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the exception of it not being armor-piercing, 22 lr does it all. One of it's best attributes is that you can put a handful in your pocket and not even notice it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom