What kind of Rifle Rest do you use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of rifle rest do you use?

• Lead sled type

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bipod

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Sand Bag

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Rolled up jacket

• Stack of gun cases

• Towel on an ammo can

• Other

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bags and for very steady shooting a bipod folded up to make the forearm very wide rested on the bag.

I made bags from many things some with worn out vibratory cleaner media in them and some were just cardboard sack wrapped with duct tape and filled with sand from a mole hill.

One thing I noticed was the "lead sled" would hold the gun absolutely rigid BUT the rounds would not impact the same spot as the bag rested gun and the bag rested gun would impact the same spot as just holding it without any bag.

So if you are shooting from a lead sled when hunting then by all means use it for sighting in.
But if you walk/hunt or sit in a tree on a limb i would not use the sled type.

Now if it does not contact the but of the gun that is different than the sled I speak of.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old jean legs cut in half, filled with sand and stitched on both ends on the sewing machine by my better half......got tired of muzzle blast blowing holes in them (so did mama) so instead of just chunking them in the dumpster I cut the tops off a pair of worn out leather Red Wing work boots with a box knife and I lay the leather on top of the bags.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom