What kind of tree is this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the first pic using Picture This plant app.

IMG_8005.jpeg

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a caution, we have had to spend a lot of money on removal of nearly 20 large diameter (12-24") non-fruiting or "barren" persimmons near hour house in the past few years, due to webworm damage combined with old age. We moved here in '95 when they were already full size, and since then they had been good (but very tall 60-80') shade trees. However, since persimmons tend to grow in "groves" or groups, they all began their end of life decline at around the same time about five years ago, continually dropping dead limbs and broken tops in wind storms as they slowly died from the top down. Sadly, Oklahoma webworms LOVE these things, and will infest them to the exclusion of everything else every year, contributing to their decline. After 30 years of experience with them in the countryside SW of OKC, I'd recommend considering something else for a shade tree, as webworms are nearly impossible to fight.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On my iPhone when I take a picture of animals or plants, at the bottom of the photo when you look at it in the photo album there is a symbol left of the delete symbol. If I touch it, it will bring up this screen then tap plant and the next screen comes up. It will give you information on the item in the picture. The photo I used was from the OP’s original photo I took a screenshot of it
IMG_7321.png
IMG_7318.png
IMG_7319.png

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a common Persimmon. We have a grove of about 15 in our yard. Animals love them from coyotes to deer.
If you need a little tidbit of trivia info, early golf club shafts were made from Persimmon wood.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought early golf clubs had hickory shafts & persimmon head. My old woods from the 70’s say “Persimmon head”. I couldn’t hit them either…..

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a caution, we have had to spend a lot of money on removal of nearly 20 large diameter (12-24") non-fruiting or "barren" persimmons near hour house in the past few years, due to webworm damage combined with old age. We moved here in '95 when they were already full size, and since then they had been good (but very tall 60-80') shade trees. However, since persimmons tend to grow in "groves" or groups, they all began their end of life decline at around the same time about five years ago, continually dropping dead limbs and broken tops in wind storms as they slowly died from the top down. Sadly, Oklahoma webworms LOVE these things, and will infest them to the exclusion of everything else every year, contributing to their decline. After 30 years of experience with them in the countryside SW of OKC, I'd recommend considering something else for a shade tree, as webworms are nearly impossible to fight.
So sad. I had lots of persimmons on my place in Missouri. I loved to used them as my winter weather forecaster. But mostly I used them for persimmon bread and deer bait.

Latest posts

Top Bottom