What lubricant do you use on your firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm with SMS here. I (and I'd guess most people here) don't go long enough between a quick wipe down and lube on my firearms to require the benefits of some of the high end lubricants. I use Rem-oil, sae30 motor oil, and a moly grease.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1, 0w-20 or 0w-40 for most everything. A few select things, like the slide on my handguns or buffer springs will get lubriplate sfl-0 or Gun Butter.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that regular use is more important than type, but some kinds may be better than others. Slide Glide, Royal Purple, and 1010 oil are all good.

Now a question: I used MIL-L-7808 (turbine oil) for a time, until I noted some deterioration of the oil while in the container. For you who are using synthetics specific for use in recips, has the oil 'deteriorated' at some point (gumming, discolored, etc.)?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not that educated in the area of oils and lubricants but I know most motor oil contains some harsh detergents and additives which may not act friendly with guns.

You just made two statements that conflict.
You say you know nothing about oil, but know that some additives can harm guns.

Could you explain how this is possible?

How could an oil that protects my engine, harm
My gun?

Latest posts

Top Bottom