What Should A Person Do Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that, I didn't intend to take the thread off topic... :teehee:

If the driver had tried to reiterate that he was armed, defying the command to be quiet, would that have been in violation of "failure to comply"? From what I understand the order has to be lawful, so is it lawful to be ordered to remain silent in the scenario we have seen on the video?

Chris Griffin

Sadly, that certainly appeard to be the first officer's interpretation.

If this does happen I doubt any court would uphold an arrest for failing to comply or failing to inform based on the circumstances on the video.

Michael Brown

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Actually I would refrain from moving around getting to your wallet.He might misinterpret what your movements( see "furtive movements") are and it could get ugly fast.Just keep your hands visible on the steering wheel and wait until he approaches you.Then you can make your calm announcement.

Good point. Definitely don't be fishing around for something.

I've gotten where I pull my wallet out when driving, and put it in the console right in front of my shifter, so I wouldn't have to fish for anything. (and because sitting on my wallet makes my back hurt!)

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I havn't been pulled over since I got mo CCL but everytime before I ussually have my ID and proof of insurance ready when they het to my window. but in the video even this was not an option for the driver. but I think i would have audibly said it even if he told me to STFU, just to cover my rear.

j707h

Marksman
Reaction score
I think the problem here is a drastic mismatch of personalities. An irate and aggressive officer vs an uncertain and indirect driver.
Personally I would have done what I do with any traffic stop; Keep my hands on the wheel and don't make any sudden movements while the officer approaches me. If he doesn't ask for my ID right away, I ask to present it. (I would hand him my DL and CCL) If he says anything short of "Yes" I state I have a CCL and a weapon in the vehicle/on my person. (When speaking to a cop, or anyone, I find short, assertive, and to the point works wonders.)
Then if the cop were to freak out because I didn't reveal the gun soon enough, I would have say calmly, "I didn't want to appear threatening, I was awaiting your instructions." And said nothing more.
But what do I know, I've only had positive experiences with cops.
Kudos to HMFIC.

D

Double Tap

I’m former LE and a current CCW instructor. There is SO much wrong with what happened here. 1st the guy IMO should have just flat out told the cop that went into the back seat “Officer I have a CCW and I’m carrying right now”, HOWEVER, that cop should have NEVER been inside the car searching it with the driver in the vehicle. I’m not going to get into if they had PC to search the car or not, doesn’t matter. You NEVER go into a situation, as a cop, if you have compromised the safety of yourself or others. If the driver had been ready and willing to kill that officer for any reason he could have EASILY. Next the primary officer in the video has no business in law enforcement, people greater at wal-mart might be a better job choice for him. NOT one of the “suspects” did or said anything to invoke his rage at the situation. He apparently spent a lot of time in a locker in high school and now is trying to be a “tough guy” with a badge and a gun. “I should have pulled out my 40 and put 10 rounds in your chest and executed you with my partner as a witness and never lost any sleep”??? Are you kidding me? I hope this dirtbag (the cop) doesn’t have a job anymore; they need to look back at all his arrests and see if they are all valid. Pricks like this made me get out of law enforcement. I wanted to be a cop, not the Gestapo.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cant get past an officer acting and talking like that knowing about the dash cam. Heck, when I shop at a department store I'm aware that someone is recording my every move.
Bad situation for all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom