What would a an ideal carry gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have an xds in .45. It had too much recoil for me and was actually a little too thin. I have pretty big hands and it was hard to get a real good grip on it. I ended up replacing it with a glock 26. The 9mm recoil is very manageable and while it is a little thicker, the grip is shorter and more rounded so i find it easier and more comfortable to carry.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would the recoil be like say shooting a baby Glock or like a Kahr cw9?

IMHO Glocks are one of the worst choices for CCW .. reason is simple .. Glocks have NO safeties. this means a holster is an absolute must to protect trigger. not a pistol you can safely/casually drop into your pocket.

what's the best pistol? the one on your person .. nicest pistol in the world will not help you if you left it at home

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO Glocks are one of the worst choices for CCW .. reason is simple .. Glocks have NO safeties. this means a holster is an absolute must to protect trigger. not a pistol you can safely/casually drop into your pocket.

what's the best pistol? the one on your person .. nicest pistol in the world will not help you if you left it at home

I thought we had moved past the glocks are scary postings...

No safeties? Really?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought we had moved past the glocks are scary postings...

No safeties? Really?

don't make crap up ... where did I say Glocks are scary?
please do show us all the Glock "Safeties" that will protect trigger in your pocket.
mated to a holster .. Glocks are fine pistols ..

IMHO a CCW needs to be versatile enough to be on your person with a moment's notice.
this includes dropping CCW into your pocket to investigate that strange noise at 2AM ..

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
don't make crap up ... where did I say Glocks are scary?
please do show us all the Glock "Safeties" that will protect trigger in your pocket.
mated to a holster .. Glocks are fine pistols ..

IMHO a CCW needs to be versatile enough to be on your person with a moment's notice.
this includes dropping CCW into your pocket to investigate that strange noise at 2AM ..

They have three safeties. Maybe you don't like the trigger safety, but it's there. I have dropped mine in my pocket lots, never shot myself. Your drop a gun into your pocket at 2am makes no sense. Mine is drawn and ready, not hanging out in the pocket. Show me the reports of people having some kind of discharge in the pocket.

What about the J frame? Considered one of the best pocket pistols, no safety.

Would would be your suggestion for pocket carry with no holster?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have three safeties. Maybe you don't like the trigger safety, but it's there. I have dropped mine in my pocket lots, never shot myself. Your drop a gun into your pocket at 2am makes no sense. Mine is drawn and ready, not hanging out in the pocket. Show me the reports of people having some kind of discharge in the pocket.

BS .. Glocks have NO safeties .. trigger safety my ass ... if you drop a Glock into your pocket .. that trigger is completely unprotected against any snags. my CCW is dropped into my pocket so I can hold on to my 12guage shotty at 2AM ...

by the way no one is telling your not to drop your Glock into your pocket or your backpack or what ever ..
what I said is specific to CCW. to be most effective one needs to have their CCW on their person ..
this mean CCW should be versatile enough to pack without a holster at a moment's notice.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BS .. Glocks have NO safeties .. if you drop a Glock into your pocket .. that trigger is completely unprotected against any snags.
my CCW is dropped into my pocket so I can hold on to my 12guage shotty at 2AM ...

by the way no one is telling your not to drop your Glock into your pocket or your backpack or what ever ..
what I said is specific to CCW. to be most effective one needs to have their CCW on their person ..
this mean CCW should be versatile enough to pack without a holster at a moment's notice.

Google "glock safety" and then get back with me.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Google "glock safety" and then get back with me.

don't need to google Glock safeties .. I've got a Glock ... they have NO safeties ...
now tell me again what safety will protect trigger from a snag inside your pocket?

that little release that tip of trigger that anything that could depress in an accidental snag ...

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
don't need to google Glock safeties .. I've got a Glock ... they have NO safeties ...

That little thingy on your trigger, that's a safety, one of three on a glock, in case you didn't know.

You did not answer the question, what do YOU drop in the pocket?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That little thingy on your trigger, that's a safety, one of three on a glock, in case you didn't know.

evidently you believe in all the advertising BS for Glocks ... there are NO safeties
please consider this my last response for this non-sense
go right ahead and CCW your Glock without a holster ..

-----------

Father accidentally kills himself in front of children at grocery store

SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – A father accidentally shot and killed himself at the grocery store Sunday evening, according to the Spotsylvania CountySheriff’s Office.

The father, a 45-year-old Spotsylvania man, was in his minivan with his children waiting for his wife to return a DVD to the Redbox outside the Giant Food Store in Harrison Crossing when he was shot, said Captain Elizabeth Scott with the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office.

The wife said she heard a pop and when she ran back to the minivan, her husband told her he thought he’d shot himself, said Capt. Scott.

A family friend says the couple has four children under the age of 12, including an infant.

When a Spotsylania County Sheriff’s Deputy arrived on scene minutes after the shooting, the man’s wife and others in the Giant parking lot were trying to revive the man.

The deputy reported the man suffered significant blood loss and was already unconscious when he arrived. The man was later pronounced dead at Mary Washington Hospital, said Capt. Scott.

She said the initial investigation indicated when the man tried to unbuckle his seat belt, he hit the trigger of his .40 caliber glock and shot himself in the hip.

It is unclear whether the man carried his gun in a holster or his pocket. The family friend says it likely was loose in his pocket. It has also not been determined whether the man was a licensed gun owner, however his wife indicated to investigators she knew he carried a weapon with him from time to time, said Capt. Scott.

“If you’re going to carry a concealed weapon, put it in a reputable holster,” Capt. Scott said when asked about general gun safety tips.

---------------

CONNERSVILLE, Ind. – Shooting himself in the leg is not the way Connersville Police Chief David Counceller planned to promote his candidacy for Fayette County sheriff.

Counceller’s 40-caliber Glock handgun accidentally discharged Saturday afternoon while he was at Wullf’s Gun Shop. Counceller, who was off-duty at the time, said he’d been examining a handgun similar to the one he carries.

“I need to pay more attention,” Counceller said. “I know what the dangers are. It was pure carelessness on my part.”

The accident occurred when Counceller was putting his Glock into its holster after he removed it to compare it to a newer Glock model at the gun shop, Counceller said.

“It got tangled in my clothing,” Counceller said of his weapon. “I was wearing a sweatshirt and a fleece jacket. I felt (the gun) go in the holster and I pushed it, but it was tangled in the material which caused it to discharge. The bullet went into my leg and then into the floor.”

Mayor Leonard Urban said he also thought the police chief was kidding when he got the call saying he’d shot himself.

“It was just a little accident. Dave is an excellent marksman,” Urban said Monday. “Apparently the Glocks don’t have the trigger safety that they should have.”

--------------

Glock Accidental discharge yesterday
Well a friend of mine is in the hospital. I have not had a chance to talk to him yet because the accident happened yesterday and he was in surgery and is now resting, but as soon as I have a chance I'll ask him details but here is the story for now:

He's a competition shooter and has been one for 9 years, shoots .380's, 38 Super and 45's. Use to carry a Taurus PT-938, switched to Glock 28 about eight months ago and carries it inside the pants, on his back and doesn't use a holster. When taking the gun out to sit in his car the gun fired (well guns don't just fire do they?) while crossing from his right side to the left to be placed on the door compartment. Result: in through the bladder and from what family told me the bullet is now in his butt and they probably will remove it after he recovers from the first surgery.

Now this is an experienced shooter!!!! Comments? Similar stories? Theories on what might have happened?

As soon as I get to talk to him I'll post the story from the inside but for now we can discuss the matter right?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom